Monday, March 28, 2005

Sick on Jelly Beans

It was a lovely Easter despite Noah being too damn slow for a proper egg hunt.

We went to Mark's father Martin's apartment for dinner. They also hosted Martin's new wife Sylvia's daughter and her husband who were visiting from Toronto, and Sylvia's son and his two teenage daughters who were visiting from Montreal. Oh, and of course Grandma Laima.

Martin had said that it would be a "light" meal because Sylvia had been entertaining her family for the last few days. Considering that Sylvia cooks enough for ten men whenever just Mark and I come to dinner, I was sure there would be plenty to eat. She cooked beef stew, chicken curry and salmon for main dishes and then many assorted vegetables. There was nothing light about it. She apologized to me for making curry for Easter and I told her she could make curry for any holiday as far as I was concerned.

This was the first time we were meeting Sylvia's family so the afternoon started off with a lot of awkward "So... What is it you do?... And you live where?.. That sounds lovely..." But they were really lovely people. And thank God on his holiest of holy days for Mad Libs - they kept the teens busy and provided the glue that now bonds us all together.

The most notable moments of the afternoon were all provided by the sassy 95 yo Laima. When Mark, Noah and I picked her up she told me I looked really good - which left me glowing about my progressing weight loss. A minute later she announced that her eyes were now completely shot and she was virtually blind. Ha! But we all got our come-uppance. She told the 13 year old she didn't smile enough and the 15 year old what she could do to lose weight. And then she initiated an online shopping search after announcing that her signature scent "Scoundrel" was discontinued. She always puts on a great show. And hell, if any of us makes it to our nineties we shouldn't have to mince words.

Oh, and Noah was there too. He was really incredibly behaved again. He's changing from a mewling infant to a wonderful little boy. He was playful, chatty and charming. I might keep him yet.

2 comments:

hazel said...

who would have thought that an old lady scent could be called "scoundrel". I assume it is a floral, springy scent that is fitting of an older lady, what with that name. remind me to smell her next time I see her. is it perchance an avon scent?? I am intrigued beyond belief.

Marksthespot said...

It was a Revlon staple for years. Very elegant.