Tuesday, March 29, 2005

From Famine to Feast

Just a few weeks ago I was concerned that Noah was too skinny. His weight gain between his one-month check-up and three-month check-up was minimal. Was he starving? Did he have worms? I felt like I was breastfeeding constantly. But where was it all going? Surely something was wrong with the boy.

The Doc assured us that there was nothing to worry about. Obviously she doesn’t know us very well. There is always SOMETHING to worry about. She said that he was healthy and his weight would catch up. I was doubtful. Of course.


In the last month Noah has been enjoying solids. And I do mean ENJOYING. He has gleefully sucked down everything he has been fed - rice cereal, bananas, sweet potatoes, pears, apples, and oatmeal. And at the end of every serving he cries. It's never enough. I think he'd eat until it started coming out of his ears. And as a result, malnutrition is no longer a worry. In fact he's starting to get down right chubby. And just like his poor mom, he first exhibits weight gain by growing many more chins. And his thighs are down right doughy. If his already voracious appetite is any indication of his future zeal for food we'll definitely need to keep this boy active. Luckily his Dad can eat like a Hoover and stay pretty thin. I hope all our children inherit that. Is it to late for me to inherit it?

1 comment:

hazel said...

lucky duck.

though now I can't wait to go and eat his thighs. mmmmmmmmm.