Monday, March 07, 2005

It takes a village of pork loin

So we went to my mother's last night for dinner. My cousin, her husband and their two kids were there too. Their baby boy Evan is only about five weeks older than Noah. It's amazing how much they grow and learn in five weeks. He really sits up well and that is a huge accomplishment. They just kind of propped him up with the Boppy for support and he played with toys on the floor. Amazing. And he's super cute. He's got this thick long black hair and these ruddy little cheeks that make him look like he just came in from the cold. His older sister Aelan is about two years old and four months. She was just chatting up a storm. So adorable. I know they say the twos are terrible, but it must be so exciting when they really start communicating like that.

It's amazing how much more valuable family seems after you have kids. It really does take a village to raise a child. And I'm so glad Noah will have cousins (first removed?) close to his age to play with at family functions. I hope they're friends.

Tonight my father-in-law and his wife are coming for dinner. The house is far from perfect and I'm cooking something I never cooked before - so we have the makings of a disaster. But they are really only coming to see Noah so it doesn't matter if the pork loin is dry. At least that is what I keep trying to tell myself.

The past two nights were a bit hard. Noah hasn't slept well. I'm not sure if it is tied to the new sensation of rice cereal in his stomach or it is just a coincidence. Yesterday morning he woke up at 3:30 am and was MISERABLE. I was so tired and he was just crying and carrying on. It was a very long morning. Last night I could not leave him in the bassinet for a big portion of the night because every time I set him down he started trying to wriggle to China and to wake himself up. But when he woke up entirely too early this morning he was smiling and chipper. What a difference that makes. If I'm completely exhausted one of his smiles will get me up and running to do what has to be done. The morning before was like sleepless torture but with a smiling baby the early rise this morning was hardly a problem. Didn't his momma ever teach him that you can catch more flies with honey? I guess I didn't. Add that to my list.

No comments: