Thursday, March 10, 2005

My baby is such a baby!

Most likely the stupidest thing ever said to a four-month-old child is "Stop acting like such a baby." And yet, I said it yesterday. Noah was sitting in his Papasan and whining to be picked up while I tried to finish doing the dishes. I kept telling him to just sit tight two more minutes and I'd pick him up, but he just kept getting louder and more plaintive. So I told him to stop acting like a baby. At which point he unhooked himself from the papasan, jumped down from the countertops, told me he'd catch me later, threw on a blazer, and went to the corner store for smokes.

In order to entertain and verbalize my child I have made most of my inner monologue during the day an outer dialogue with a silent partner. This could have horrible repercussions as I feel the need to say everything that goes through my head out loud. I had problems with that before, but now it is probably magnified ten-fold. I'm also obviously starved for conversation. My sister called today and though she tried to end the conversation like five times, I just kept talking and asking questions. Last month when I got my hair cut by a new stylist I left with the very real feeling that the woman was going to be like "JESUS! That woman never shut up!"

So I'm sure you are all (Patrice) chomping at the bit to know how Noah slept last night in light of our rice cereal vs. reflux sleep study. Well, it seems obvious that reflux is the cause. He started showing signs that he needed his dosage increased yesterday afternoon before his 2pm dose. And he still shuffled a lot last night despite not having the rice cereal. He slept a little better though because I sat more upright with him - all the more relaxing for me. But still no cereal today for Master Noah as we want to make absolutely sure that the reflux is the culprit. And we must be empirical about our evidence.

I emailed with Ms. Janette yesterday. She is due to birth her first baby on 5/25. I can't wait to see the baby whose sex is still a mystery. But either way it will most likely be pinky pale and freckly with a shock of curly orange fuzz on its head - not to mention as full of magic and wonder as Ms. Janette herself. I was shocked and appalled to hear that her iron-pumping male OBGYN has been harping on her prenatal weight gain. What an arse! I gained 70 pounds during my pregnancy and my doctor did not say a word. She knew better. I told Ms. Janette to tell her doctor that if he was so concerned with prenatal weight gain than she could tell him when he's gaining to much weight during his pregnancy but until that time comes he should keep his trap shut. Ridiculous. Janette looks healthy and luminescent. I wish she didn't live in the far off burbs of Reading or that one of us had a helicopter. Since she is the aerialist and her hubby a rigger, they should devise some sort of pulley system to fly back and forth from here.

God, I CAN NOT wait for the weather to get nice. Just having the option of taking a walk with Noah seems like a dream. We have been holed up in this house for too damn long.

3 comments:

hazel said...

I too can't wait for spring. more cute clothes for boys and girls alike.

I laughed till I cried at noah and his blazer.

glad to hear about his sleeping/dosage dilemma - sounds like he's on his way to sleeping soundly again. hear that, bella? so you can start sleeping too.

Anonymous said...

Aw, Nicole--After your email and my sisters card (a woman hanging on a trapeze over a scale--one toe touching and smiling) I feel more ready to take on the doc.
Sleep tight--you and Noah!

Anonymous said...

...we are working on the Philly to Reading rigging system. Just waiting to get Rendell on my side...