Tuesday, January 31, 2006

He's a regular Michael Winslow

Not a great night for sleeping. Noah was making a ton of noise in his sleep and since I wasn’t in the room with him I kept leaping out of bed just to get in the room and realize he was asleep. It happened like three times. Then when he woke up at 3:30 am I probably took extra long to get in there and as a result he was pretty damn awake. It took me almost two hours to settle him back to sleep enough to put him back in his crib. Anyway, you’ve heard it all before. Once we get a bit more settled with the new crib locale we can try some sleep training. After someone kills me.

This morning we went to the local free library branch. I renewed my card and chased the boy around the stacks. It was a good place to go to get out for a bit on a grey day. I got a nonfiction book on China, a Cornelia Funke book to indulge my interest in kid lit, and a board book for the boy. And on the way home we got some more cookies – from a different local bakery. This time they were chocolate sprinkles.

Here are a few new Noah bits:

- Noah has begun to meow at the cats. It’s a high pitched “Owwww” and it’s diabetic coma inducing.
- He also hisses like a snake – even if the word you said was stick or he's pointing to a picture of a worm.
- When I was leaving a vm for my sister Elisha yesterday Noah heard me say her name and went over to the refrigerator and pointed at her picture.
- I wasn’t sure if he was going to do anything but try to stand on that table I got him last week, but I’m happy to say he loves to sit in a chair and have his snack.
- For the first time the other day he began moving forward in his little rider car rather than backward.
- We’ve been working on his word recognition. When we read books I’ll open the page and say “Where is the computer?” and he’ll point to the right thing. It is so cool to see him learn new words.
- He’s taken up fishing as a hobby. I got him a bath tub toy set that included a plastic fishing rod and floating fish. While he doesn’t yet have the manual dexterity to hook the fish while floating, he can hook the fish with the rod while holding the fish with the other hand – and while that might not sound too impressive, I assure you it ain’t all that easy.
- He knows the location of all the power buttons on the TVs and stereos in the house and wants to spend a great deal of time turning them off and on and off and on, and off and on.
- He’s become fascinated with the dustbuster and my hairdryer and will pick up an array of objects and pretend to vacuum or dry his hair with them, all the while going “zhhhhhhh.”
- And he now picks up the phone and says Hello - though it's really more of a "Ha-Ohhh."

5 comments:

Marksthespot said...

Why madam, I just happened upon your fine Web log, and I must tell you that your son is a breath of fresh air. I daresay when he grows up he'll be an astronaut, a surgeon or a Supreme Court justice (should the Supreme Court accidentally still exist at that time). Kudos to you and your husband on outstanding parenting.

lonna said...

I'm so sorry about the sleeping. It was really hard on us to find the fine line where Dermot needed us and where he needed to figure things out on his own. I am not implying by any means that you are over indulging Noah. I'm having trouble saying what I mean. I mean that I had to let myself learn when to go to him and when not to go to him. His cries are just a little bit different, but with time I have learned to distinguish them.

I love all of his milestones. I remember so freaking proud of Dermot when he did all of that. It is just the coolest thing to see their little brains expand. The coolest thing is that it only gets better.

Froggylady said...

Those are some awfully cute and wonderful milestones! And um, I do think that we need to see chocolate face. I will probably die from cuteness and my mommy clock will probably burst, but I will suffer for chocolate face. :)

Anonymous said...

Madam - I also happened upon your blog today and while I agree with the other fine gentlemen who sees your son as a future Supreme Court Justice, and agree that fine parenting plays a part, I do believe that his intelligence and demeanor were probably inherited from an equally intelligent and agreeable grandparent.

hazel said...

you newbies, don't forget that it takes a village to raise an intelligent and adorable boy.

signed,
villager