Friday, January 20, 2006

Bridging the gap

My father in law’s wife bought me an outfit for Christmas that I was never going to wear. It was a crushed black velvet peasant skirt with a spaghetti strap top. It was too dressy for me to wear anywhere but to a Christmas party, and then too revealing for ME to wear period. My bras have straps the size of a whole box of spaghetti. I’m not normally a gift exchange person, but the labels said DKNY so I was guessing they weren’t cheap, and since I had the gift receipt I hoped to exchange them at Macys for a new watch. I wanted to go some weekend with Mark so that I didn’t have to shop and baby wrangle, but the weekends always fill up and we haven’t had time to get around to it. So yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and take Noah with me to the Cherry Hill Mall. The good news is that the outfit was $82 – so I’m very glad I didn’t just shove it in a closet, especially since in exchange I got both a watch and a new wallet, which I was sorely needing. The bad news is that though it took us about 15 minutes to get TO the mall it took us an hour and a half to come home. When I was five cars away from the toll booth to get on the Ben Franklin Bridge they shut it down .COMPLETELY. We sat for a half hour in that same spot until they started letting cars on and we inched to a quarter way across where we sat for another half hour. I was gonna go insane. Surprisingly Noah was semi-rational. As long as I continued to feed him. He had raisins, chex mix, M&M minis, a biter biscuit, and a cup of watered down apple juice.

Since it was such a warm and beautiful day I decided to take Noah to the park for about an hour and a half today. It had been quite awhile since we’d been and he really loved it. He went down the slide a billion times. I had to help him to go down by sitting him down and getting him started – but a couple of times he just backed up and slid down on his belly, feet first. With as nice as it was I was really surprised we were the only people at the park.

Last night was a crappy night of sleep. And surprisingly not because of the boy. I kept waking up because I had a pounding sinus headache. In fact my sinuses have been bothering me off and on for about 24 hours now.

Oh- and the boy still won’t drink milk. Not regular milk, not 2%, not cold, not warm, not with chocolate syrup and not even vanilla soy. However he didn’t let the soy milk dribble back out of his mouth like he did the rest, so maybe there is room for growth there. He just shook his head NO vehemently and threw the cup on the floor.

On a similar front, crib relocation time is upon us. Please take a moment to say a few words to whatever higher power you might hold dear – Christ, Allah, Buddha, Krishna, Tim Gunn.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about you getting stuck in traffic! It's bad enough to be stuck, but MUCH MUCH worse with a baby or toddler in the back seat. Glad he wasn't too upset! Don't give up on the milk drinking thing yet...my son would always put a bunch of it in his mouth (when he was Noah's age) and then spit or let it dribble out of his mouth for months and then one day he started REALLY drinking it and now he won't drink ANYTHING (except breastmilk) else! Hates water and juice! From what I have read, as long as he's nursing at least 4 times a day, his calcium requirements are being met and he doesn't really NEED cow's milk, so don't worry! Does he like cheese or yogurt? Praying that you get a good night's sleep tonight! Now please pray for me too :)

Missuz J said...

One of the very few advantages(ok, there are a lot--but sometimes they get old) of living in podunkville UT is that traffic is never ever a problem.

Praying to the gods of milk and crib moving for you.

lonna said...

Boy I wish Timm Gunn could fix all of our sleeping problems. Wouldn't that be fabulous?

I am so happy for you that Noah handled the traffic situation so well. If I remember right he has a habit of not enjoying car trips.

As for the milk thing, even as a kid I never drank cow's milk. I just didn't like the taste, but I ate other dairy products. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as he's getting enough calcium in other sources. Does he like orange juice? We haven't resorted to juice around our house because Dermot's still nursing and he eats so much real fruit, but OJ is my best source of calcium since I won't drink any type of milk product.

If he doesn't like soy milk, there's also rice, oat, and almond milk.

hazel said...

I think milk tastes like ass. maybe noah does too. he certainly eats alot of cheese so maybe he's fine. but I think you were looking to milk to replace breastfeeding...maybe you can figure something else out that will take its place.

watch and wallet - excellent. what kind of watch did you get?