Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Working for the man

Today when I went grocery shopping the lady at the lunchmeat counter told me it was too early to have given Noah a lollipop. Who the hell does she think she is? He was crabby and started fussing as soon as we got in the store, so if I choose to give him a lollipop to pacify him at 10:30 am it is NONE of her damn business.

I'm super cheery today, can you tell? Feeling tired, low and lonely today. And invisible. Oh, and last night was another stupendous night of interrupted sleep.

I’ve really appreciated reading on Lonna’s blog about extended breastfeeding – both her and Allison make some great points. Honestly I’d be completely ready to wean Noah if he seemed to have any interest in being weaned. But he isn’t. In fact I think he’d still nurse a dozen times a day if I let him. And so I do what I think is best for him. And I’m SO tired of getting the “STILL?” reaction from people. It’s like they think I’m a maniacal freak because I’m nursing a 15 month old. I wish they’d get over it. It’s not like I’m raising him to be a Scientologist.

Now that Noah’s taking only one nap (which can be as short as an hour) it doesn’t leave me a lot of time to myself. As a result everything is missing out – napping, cleaning, laundry, answering emails, commenting on blogs – everything. So don’t think I’ve dropped out a lot by choice, it’s circumstances. Well, the beast awakes. Luckily, he's one lovely little beast.

4 comments:

lonna said...

I remember how hard it is to adjust to having even less time to get things done when they give up that first nap. Hopefully he'll settle down soon and take 1.5 to 2 hour naps. I love 2 hour nap days:)

I can't believe the woman at the store. You are absolutely right that it's none of her damn business. It's not like you were yelling at him or smacking him for being unruly at the grocery store like so many parents still do. I'm with you. You do whatever you can within reason to keep them comfortable and relatively happy.

hazel said...

I've starting lying to people about breastfeeding. it may be wrong, but it's easier.

is 10am too early for a lollipop?? for chrissakes, we feed our kids COOKIE crisp for breakfast. maybe a chocolate chip waffle or a s'mores pop tart. I think a 10 calorie lollipop is actually pretty freakin healthy. BIOTCH.

why do you feel invisible? I can see you! (and I can't wait to see you this weekend.)

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad about the lollipop - I let my son have one at 8 AM the other day! My daughter found 2 of them I had stashed away, and then waved them in his face, so it was either let him have one or listen to him scream :) Hopefully Noah's nap schedule will get better soon. I can't believe the nerve of some people giving their opinions when they aren't asked...

Froggylady said...

I was going to comment, but Patrice pretty well covered it.

What you do with your boobs and your lollipops is your business and nobody has the right to judge.