Thursday, January 05, 2006

One very healthy rabbit

I could go on for days about sleep issues, the incessant fear of weaning, teething and the battle of the naps. But even I'm tired of hearing about that crap. So I’ll spare you. At least for today.

A few new Noah things
- Noah has learned to nod yes and no, though no is far more prevalent. He often uses them in the correct context, but sometimes he just answers no if your statement sounds like a question. Like “Aren’t you the cutest EVER?”
- He’s also using more hand gestures. He throws his hands up as if to say “I dunno.” And the pointing seems to never end. My favorite is when he bumps his head on the table and then he repeatedly points at the table, rubs his head and then gives the table a slap with his hand. Stupid table.
- He is doing very well with the spoon. After months of pretend eating with the measuring spoons we gave him as tub toys, we finally wised up and decided to see if he could actually feed himself. Depending on the day and the consistency of the food he seems like he’s either got it completely mastered or he’s gonna need a lot of work.
- He is still an eater. In fact to date there isn’t anything that he consistently won’t eat. The only times he refuses something it seems to be either full tummy or a mood based decision. Oh, except for milk. Still can’t get him to drink milk. He keeps taking a sip, grimacing and letting it run out of his mouth. Hopefully I’ll be able to wean him before he’s four. (Oh wait, I wasn't going to talk about that.)

Oh and I think I’ve hit menopause. Let me start by saying I am not pregnant. I am definitely not pregnant. However, it’s been 32 days since I had my period and my cycle is normally a 24 day cycle. Did I skip a period because of nursing? I can’t imagine why since I’ve been regularly getting it since Noah was 6 months old and I don’t think his nursing went up drastically enough to change that. The suckiest thing about this is that it’s harder to get pregnant if you don’t know what the hell is up with your damn cycle. I repeat – I am not pregnant.

7 comments:

lonna said...

I love the Noah updates. He's doing so much and it's all so fun. Dermot still does a ton of pointing. It's actually getting to be annoying now.

I got my period back the day after Dermot's first birthday, and it was fairly regular, for me anyway. Then for no reason, I just skipped 3 months after September and Dermot hadn't increased his nursing either. Strange.

I know that you have probably tried lots of things, but have you tried soy or rice milk? or flavored soy or rice milk. We didn't want to go down that road and we didn't have to. Dermot loves plain soy milk, but I know that some kids need to have vanilla soy or rice milk to get it down. You could also mix breast milk and milk together for a while and keep increasing the percentage of milk, but that would mean you have to pump and pumping gets harder after the 12 month mark for a lot of people.

OMH said...

Hmmmmmm could be an interesting graduation from high school if he still will only accept your milk for milk. LOL

Actually I think Lonna has a good idea of mixing the two and building up to all milk. You might want to try different percentages of milk. Skim milk is all my grandson has ever liked.

hazel said...

maybe you're pregnant. ha ha ha. see? like you said over and over that you weren't? and I just said maybe you were? ha. yeahhhh. okay. sorry.

I am picturing nicole reading your (very worthwhile) suggestion of mixing breastmilk with milk. let me see if I get it right - PUMP??? I WILL NEVER TOUCH THAT PUMP EVER AGAIN.

my mom doesn't remember much from my infancy, but she did tell me she remembered clearly that I have always hated milk. and that to get me to drink it she had to make strawberry milk for me to drink - in my bottle. so maybe flavoring is the way to go. flavoring and a prayer that he doesn't turn into a diabetic from all the sugar.

Kathryn said...

I agree, yay for Noah updates! You've had a lot going on in the last few weeks, could it be a stress induced missed period?

amandak said...

I'm with Katie on the stress thing. Although I've never been anywhere close to regular, so I wouldn't know shit.

I also love Noah updates. AND, I love the card I just got in the mail!! I was feeling a little sad when I saw the cute xmas card on Missuz J's fridge, but when I got back home, there was one waiting on the counter for me! Very cool.

One of my kids favorite early spooning foods was yogurt mixed with cereal. It sticks to the spoon, and has crunchies in it! Rice Crispies work especially well.

Good luck with that whole rabbit thing. ;)

Missuz J said...

Could you be pregnant??

Sorry--had to.

The yogurt and cereal thing really is a good one, although Soph always prefered to eat with her fingers. Still does.

NME said...

I'd be more likely to start giving Noah soda that I'd be to trying to use that godforsaken pump again. I could never use it right and haven't even tried since he was like 3 months old. And I'm sure it hasn't gotten any easier.