Wednesday, January 11, 2006

With teeth

Today is the first annual Ellis day! Can’t wait to hear all about him. Good luck Katie and Kent!

I’m sad to say that reports coming in from the Milliceccobach vacation are not good. Sean came down with either a nasty case of food poisoning or a merciless virus – we’re hoping the former, so the rest of the family won’t be impacted by the illness. They fly home tonight, and sound more than ready to be at home in their own bed.

I don’t have too much to report. Had a horribly sleepless night. Noah could not stop moving. He wanted to nurse for hours straight, while kneading his hands and poking at my face endlessly and every time I stopped him to see if I could rock him to sleep he arched and screamed bloody murder. That went on from about 12:30 to 3:30 am. So I’m tired.

As I finished typing that last paragraph I glanced down to Noah who was sitting at my feet pouring pink syrupy infant ibuprofen on the carpet and smearing it around with his hands. Lord only knows how he got the child safety cap off. When I took the bottle away from him and started to clean up he let out an earth shattering yowl – and in doing so gave me a glimpse of what had us up last night. It’s a brightly shining molar crown. Teeth. The gift that keeps on giving.

My Grandfather was returned from ICU to a room on the ninth floor yesterday. (Seen him, Mary? He’s the big crotchedy guy who wants to go home to drink and smoke and probably doesn’t have visitors.) From what I understand from my Oma his condition isn’t much better, or worse – of course getting medical info from my Oma is like trying to have President Bush teach you about the Muslim faith. I’m planning to visit him on Saturday or Sunday (probably around 11, Mary) so hopefully I’ll get a better idea of what his condition is then.

I’ve been feeling kind of blah and lonely the last two days. I knew that would happen. Running around seemingly non-stop for a month and a half, praying for the doldrums to come – and then sitting around feeling low and bored. I’m such a lame-o. I might have to do some sort of meme later so I have something to write about. I keep contemplating writing one of those 100 things about me, but that’s a lot of things, and a lot of me. Surely too much me. Maybe I can do it in increments.

4 comments:

lonna said...

Dermot's first set of molars was horrible too. He couldn't sleep and he just wanted to nurse. The good thing for him was that as soon as they broke through the pain seemed to stop. It seemed to take forever for all four points to come through, but he was fine as soon as the first one popped out. I think that we're going through the same thing now with his two year molars. Good luck.

amandak said...

Sleepless nights suck. Here's hoping tonight is better. I too have had the blahs lately. Mine are the not wanting to get out of bed and crying at soap operas variety, and I don't even have a teething baby to blame. Ugh. They can't last forever, right? RIGHT?

Anonymous said...

Your night last night sounds very similar to mine - my 21 month old son was up from 11 pm until 3 am and of course, so was I! Eventually I tried to ignore him and just fall asleep, but he would not allow that to happen. The worst part was that I had not yet gone to bed yet, so I only got to sleep from 3 am to 6 am, at which time my daughter woke up, so as you can tell, I got very LITTLE sleep...it's a wonder I remember who I am! My son is getting his 2nd year molars, so that's some of his excuse...he's never been a good sleeper and I guess that's the rest of the excuse! I hope that your night goes much better tonight...I can totally sympathize with you!!!!

hazel said...

molars!!! holy cow!!!!!!!

bella still has just 4 teeth. maybe she'll never get any more and she'll always have to chew things in the front of her mouth.