Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Rotted to the core

As a family Mark, Noah and I are really blessed with several supportive and generous people in our lives. I know that if we needed anything or just wanted something we could go to my Mom, my Dad, Mark’s Dad or his Grandmother for help and they would help us out if it was in their means. And God forbid Mark were to unexpectedly lose his job or we were to lose our house in a fire, I’m sure there would be fights about who gets to put us up and help us out. That is a really nice feeling to have and I hope Noah always has that feeling without taking advantage of it. The holidays saw us overflowing with gifts both tangible and monetary in nature – and though that is far from the meaning of the Christmas season, we certainly feel grateful not just for the gifts but for the love behind them.

Some of you might remember the rant I went on about using the word “spoiled” to refer to children. As I explained, to spoil is to damage irreparably, to ruin permanently – and I don’t find it proper to talk of children in that manner. Of course my sensitivity to that word is based on the fact that it was used by family members to describe me. I don’t think it was used so much to describe my demeanor as it was describe the fact that they believed I was excessively indulged in a material way, by my mother in particular. My mother raised me as an only child and she was always very generous to me within her means, as was my father, however his means were never as great. Even when my mother was struggling to pay the bills she would use any extra to buy me the name brand sweater I wanted or take me to Disney world. This generosity and my mom’s interest in giving me the best she could afford is what caused many people to think of me as spoiled. And I’m sure it’s still occurring.

In the years since I graduated from high school my mother has moved up the ranks in her field and her career has become very lucrative. She’s not rich, but she’s comfortable. More comfortable than she probably ever dreamed, especially since she doesn’t have a college degree. And she’s even more generous now than when she was when I was a child. She loves to shop for others as well as herself, and she’s started college funds for every child in our family. And of course she is most generous with Noah and I.

I worried when I decided to stay home with Noah that my mother would be disappointed. She loves her career and has a very strong work ethic - and I felt that she wouldn’t respect my decision. I was very wrong. Not only has she been emotionally supportive of me being home to raise Noah in the early years, she’s gone above and beyond in helping out financially. Not just in showing up to our house with necessities like diapers, clothes and food – but also treating us to niceties that are not essential enough to fit into our budget. She treats us to things that we would otherwise have sacrificed.

Which brings me to this – yesterday she booked a vacation for us all to go to Jamaica in April. Mom and her husband Larry took many trips to the Caribbean and very much enjoyed it, so much so that she always thought she’d like to share it with us. And since Larry was battling with cancer the last couple of years, it’s been quite awhile since she’s been able to get away. And she could really use it now. So this Christmas she asked if we’d like to go away with her in the spring and we couldn’t be more excited.

By nature Mark and I aren’t really beach resort vacationers. We like to pick a city and do research to find out about the history, the things to see, the places to eat. And the whole time we’re away we’re on the go, to the point of getting little sleep and wearing our feet out. But with a toddler it’s a bit impossible to tour the sights in the cities of the world. Hell, we saw one thing a day when we went to Jim Thorpe for a weekend. So at this point a beach resort vacation is ideal. Plus, they say the secret to a good gift is to give someone something they will really enjoy but wouldn’t necessarily buy for themselves – and this trip to Jamaica fits that bill. I just can’t wait to see little Noah dancing in the waters of the Caribbean.

There are two things that worry me about this trip. The first is in my control – whenever my mother does something over-the-top generous for me I always fear that my thanks won’t be enough, that I won’t seem grateful enough, that she won’t really know how much I appreciate what she’s doing and all that she does for me. And the only way to fix that is to make sure she knows, to the point of her getting sick of me talking about it. The second is not within either my control or hers – it’s all about the others. I can already hear the chiding voices of people talking about another thing that my mom did for me. I know from experience that there are those who pay quite a bit of attention to what my mom spends her money on and what she does for me, and I know there are those that still think of me as spoiled. But I can’t really help that. Can I?

13 comments:

amandak said...

It sounds to me like this is a gift she's giving to herself as much as to you. Having you and your family with her in a place that is special to her, especially after losing her husband, seems like an excellent way to recharge for everyone. Screw anyone else who has a problem with it. It's no one's business but hers how she spends her money.

MC said...

Some people need to worry more about what's going on in their own lives and less about what's going on in others.

On a related note, I have a friend who has been on several family cruises, even after getting married, that were paid for by her grandparents. And I never once thought of her as spoiled. I just thought of her as lucky. And now that her grandfather has passed away, I am happy that she has great memories of going on cruises with him.

Those who really love you and your mom will be just as happy that you get to enjoy this vacation together. And you shouldn't worry about anyone else.

Missuz J said...

I say--lucky you and party hardy!

Katy said...

You can't see it, but this is my jealous face. I'm the baby of the family by about 6 years so I can see others thinking of me as spoiled as well. The point is that you do what you can for yourself by yourself, and take what others give you with gratefulness. It doesn't sound like you expect your mother to show up and do nice things for you it's just a bonus of having a loving mother with the means to give a little extra.

lonna said...

You are blessed that your mother cares about you so much and that you are smart enough to recognize it. It sounds like this trip will mean so many different things to each member of your party and they are all good. Also, what's money for if you can't spend it on those you love? It's not as fun to spoil yourself alone, and as long as you have enough in the bank, it isn't going to do you much good there.

hazel said...

I seriously can't think of one single person who would think you are spoiled. maybe you mean family? I'm not sure. no one I know thinks that you're spoiled.

who would say no to a jamaica trip??? seriously?? if whoever you're talking about were faced with the same gift, they would take it in a heartbeat, I guarantee it. then I bet they wouldn't think they are spoiled. just lucky. which is how you feel.

OMH said...

Spoiled - is a word I HATED to hear people to use with my own children. I taught them to answer "I am not spoiled - I am just well LOVED!"

I like your definition of SPOILED - I've always translated it as getting and being ungrateful or demanding MORE! Your blog has proven that you are not Spoiled!

Go enjoy - let Mr Noah help Grandma in her healing! BUT DO NOT FORGET THE CAMERA AND TO SHARE ALL DETAILS IT WILL BE AS CLOSE AS SOME OF US COME TO BEING THERE!

Stine said...

I say you thank the forces of the universe and have a splendid time with your family. Of course we want pictures of cute little children playing in the Carribean.

Jen said...

They are just jealous if they deicde to give you any crap about this. Forget about everyone else and look forward to your exciting trip! It sounds great!

NME said...

Thanks for all your support and excitement. I really appreciate your input. And I totally look forward to sharing tales with you about Negril Jamaica at the end of April. As well as many pictures of Noah in crystal blue water and powdery white sand.

Kathryn said...

How wonderful to have such a close relationship with your moms. My mom really is one of my best friends, I don't know what I'd do without her.

How sad that there are people who would begrudge her wanting to do nice things for her daughter and grandson. What the hell business is it of theirs anyway?

Try not to worry too much about those people.

Anonymous said...

Point 1 - You are always greatful and you don't need to keep telling me!!

Point 2 - I know it is probably our family that you had in mind that will think you are "spoiled" again - screw 'em!!

Point 3 - You have some very nice and smart friends. They are correct in that this will be as much for me as for you - I need to go back to work with something great to look forward to.

Jen O. said...

Anyone who thinks you're spoiled is just jealous of your mother's doting and devotion. There is absolutely no reason to feel guilty.

To me, a child or person is "spoiled" when they're ungrateful or thankless. And that's obviously not the case here.

Jamaica! I am jealous. But I would never think you spoiled.