Friday, January 06, 2006

When does your flight leave?

Yesterday we got the car inspected. YAY. So much fun to deal with auto mechanics and shell out lots of money for problems that could be for all I know imaginary. Mom picked us up from the dealership while the car was being serviced and we toddled around the Willow Grove Mall for a few hours. I say toddled because all we literally did was let the boy run around and follow him, aside from taking him on 20 trips on the escalator, lunching in the food court and riding on the carousel. There wasn’t one iota of shopping done. Toddling only. And GOD that boy is a flirt. He just lives to get attention from the ladies. Smiling and waving at strangers in the mall. It’s SO funny. Until someone doesn’t return his attention – and then I want to punch them.

Today the roofer is banging around on the roof (go figure). Hope he gets all that nonsense done so we won’t continue to get water bubbles in the wall behind our heads while we sleep. After lunch the boy and I are going on a play date – we’re going to Holly and baby Trip’s house to play, along with Susan and Francesca. It should be a toddler free for all. Noah hasn’t played with Trip in quite awhile so I’m interested to see how they do. Last time we were over there he obviously preferred playing with Holly. Cassanova.

Oh, in my updates yesterday I forgot to include that Noah has acquired the ability to pucker. Big open mouth kisses have been replaced by the cutest little puckered up mouth you’ve ever seen. Not that I’m partial.

I just placed an order for fifty dollars worth of toddler parenting books. Obviously because I’m insane. I ordered “What to Expect: The Toddler Years” to keep me up to date on the developmental info I thrive on, “The No-Cry Sleep Solution” to hopefully provide us all with more sleep without causing me a baby crying induced nervous breakdown, “Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers” for tips on dealing with a misbehavin’ head strong toddler in a gentle reassuring way for us both, and “The Happiest Toddler on the Block” for a different theory on how to deal with said toddler. Hopefully I gain SOME useful knowledge out of ONE of them. Since all my other baby books sort of dropped me off at the one year mark, I’ve been flying without a safety net the last couple of months and I don’t like it. Do any of you use books as a resource? Any ones that you’ve loved or hated?

Oh and speaking of being netless - Patrice leaves today for almost an entire week. That sucks. And it's even worse because my mom leaves for Vegas on Monday. Half the staff of my emotional support team is traveling to freakin' Nevada. Sheesh.

9 comments:

hazel said...

I can't wait to get a kiss from noah. I didn't kiss him on new year's because I think those open mouthed kisses are probably best done on mom, lest someone think I am trying to french him.

awwww, I'm part of your safety net! so sweet. help is just a phone call away.

I typically don't read books. I instead rely on my best friend to read books and tell me what they say. so I am looking forward to your reading.

amandak said...

I didn't read a lot of toddler books, but I really loved the 'Baby Whisperer', so hopefully the toddler version will be as good.

Yeah, well, there's something about Nevada. I don't understand it, but it certainly is sucking in a lot of peeps lately. I was there TWICE last week, and it was a little bizzare both times. Viva Las Vegas.

lonna said...

I honestly haven't read any books about toddlerhood. I know the basics since I teach it to future day care workers. I have heard mixed reviews about all of the books that you have mentioned and they seem to be the best of the bunch. I am partial to anything by the Searses (?), but I lean toward AP without actually doing it. I have heard that the What to Expect series is against extended nursing, but that may be subtle and not intentional. I am not sure since I haven't read it myself. If you find anything to help with a head strong toddler send it out on the internet. Dermot's doing much better now that we're home, but he can still have some melt downs.

Missuz J said...

I have the no cry sleep solution. it's not bad. but--the crying is just fucking inevitable sometimes.

that noah sounds like he's turning into quite a ladies man.

Anonymous said...

There is now a "No Cry Sleep Solution" for Toddlers! It's really good, I just let a friend of mine borrow it. I love all of the Dr. Sears' books, I think the one I have is The Baby Book, which goes all the way up to 2 years. Also, one that's really funny is The Girlfriend's Guide to Toddlers (can't remember if that's the exact title, but it's close) by Vicki Iovine. I myself am a book reader when it comes to just about anything! Of course I never follow any book completely, but just use what I feel good about and leave the rest...

Anonymous said...

PS - the What to Expect series is VERY intentional and NOT subtle...but this is in the version I have. I think they may have changed the wording a little since my version, but they definitely don't PROMOTE extended bfeeding. Other than that, most of the stuff in there is OK.

Kathryn said...

Man is it Vegas time or what? My friend Drew is heading there too. I can't imagine anyone not returning Noah's attentions. Bastards.

Jen said...

Oh, you are just like me with the books. I mean not with books about parenting, but anything I want to do or learn about I go out and get a stack of books about it. I guess I just feel better after I have researched and studied and read about something rather than just diving into it.

I need to go get some books about building a house tomorrow.

I would love to see Noah's sweet little pucker by the way!

Kodi said...

Dude, I so want a puckered up Noah kiss. And I would never not at least smile and wave to a adorable tyke who is vieing for my attention. The nerve of some people to not appreciate the honor of receiving Noah's attention. Whatever, assholes.