Wednesday, January 25, 2006

On treks, hair, butts and baths

We met Susan and Frannie in the park for an hour yesterday afternoon. I don’t know if it’s a boy/girl difference, but I am always astounded by how active Noah seems in comparison. While Frannie contentedly checked out the area in a one foot radius of her mom, Noah was heading for the hills. “People – there is ALL this open space over here. We NEED to check it out.” Susan, Frannie and I could barely keep up with him on his exploratory mission of the park perimeter. The excursion was put to an end when he climbed right onto a standing puddle on a piece of playground equipment. His pants were soaked with cold water and I had to hustle on home to warm him up and change him.

Later in the afternoon we headed to the hair salon so I could get my hair fixed. Noah toddled around playing with shampoo bottles while my hair was transformed from and mulletesque 80’s shag to a choppy bob. It’s still not my best haircut yet, but at least I’m no longer feeling embarrassed about leaving the house. I was swearing to myself that I’d never go to this stylist again, despite doing some freelance work for her salon - but then I started considering how accomodating she was about fixing my hair and how she didn’t mind Noah destroying her salon while she did it – and now I’m not so sure. Maybe one more chance.

Since we were out and in dire need of milk, (obviously for me and not for Noah) I decided to hit the Super Fresh. While trying to navigate our way through the store I felt like clocking this one biatch. These two women were shopping together. One was standing in front of the cart, and the other was standing to the side – and they were in the most narrow section of the store, by the frozen food island by the fish counter. I said “Excuse me” because I couldn’t get past them, especially since there was a display cart next to the freezer. In response to my request, rather than move from the side of the cart to the end, the woman took a fraction of an inch toward the cart. I just stared there and glared at her, and she looked back at me like “What are you waiting for – you’ve got PLENTY of room?” So against my better judgment I proceeded to TRY and squeeze the cart by. In the fraction of a second where I had to wedge my cart next to the display cart – Noah stuck his little hand down and got his finger pinched. He started crying hysterically. And had I not been tending to him and his injury, I would have knocked that stupid woman silly. The good news is that Noah quickly recovered, the bad news is that since I took him out of the cart seat when he started crying, he didn’t want to go back in. I had to carry him around the store while shopping. That is of course when I decided to coax him back in with a bag of cookies. And YES – I’m one of those fools opening things in the store before I pay for them.

On the butt front, after bathing the boy last night we let him run around bare for a good while before slathering him in ointment. Speaking of baths – Noah LOVES them. All the sources say to make baths a part of your bedtime routine, but Noah gets so excited in the bath that it’s hardly calming. He wants to play in there for a good half hour. And as of late he loves baths so much that he tries to climb into the bath with his bath toys several times a day. When I ask him if he wants to take a bath he nearly knocks me over on the way to the bathroom.

And to our defense, the stairs Noah is learning on are a small staircase of 4 steps between our kitchen and dining room. I kind of figure they aren’t too bad in the grand scheme of things, sort of like a training staircase. The problem has always been that we can’t gate those steps with a conventional gate because one side of the gate has to screw into the wooden banister instead of a wall. We would have had to hire a carpenter – and who has the funds for that. So we’ve made the best of it by teaching Noah how to go up and down them carefully. And that has worked thus far. Until of course he slips and busts his head open.

8 comments:

hazel said...

bless you for allowing the woman to have another chance. I can't wait to see your hair.

what a stupidass bitch! I hate when people do that. I have taken to moving their carts for them if they don't move on their own. or just a good olefashioned staredown. and I am totally an opener of things before I pay.

ha! while we were at your mom's house, noah climbed into her bath tub while we had our closet party. bella likes baths, too, and it's always a struggle to get her out. even if the water is ice cold.

regarding your steps. sean finally showed me that there IS a way to gate a stairway that has a banister, as our stairs do too. if you get one of those wooden tension gates, you can make it tight enough that even if the top piece doesn't actually touch the wood of the banister, it is really quite strong. we use one at the base of our steps now. but since he's figuring it out, no biggie.

lonna said...

I am so sorry that those women were so rude to you. I'm sorry but people need to make room for each other in stores. People do ignorant things like that even when there is enough room.

Steps are so important to learn. It's great that you have a small amount of them to work on. It's so much safer once they get the hang of them.

Dermot usually likes his bath, but he's had a couple of times lately where he wanted OUT. I think that he didn't feel very secure because his feet had slipped on the tub as I was putting him in. I never know with him. Dermot usually comes running when he hears me turn the water on.

Kodi said...

Reminds me of a time when I was a teen and shopping with my mother around Christmas. These two ladies, each with their own cart were in the middle of a narrow isle talking to eachother. My mother stopped and very politely said excuse me. The ladies looked my mom up and down, then turned back to eachother to continue their conversation, completely ignoring my mother. My mother, all 5'0" 130 lbs of her, turned a funny shade of purple, backed her cart up a little bit then made a running crash through the ladies carts. Funnies shit I ever saw.

Kodi said...

That is aisle, not isle. Hahahaha

Missuz J said...

Shit--I'm lucky if I make it to the check out with fewer than a half dozen things open. Usually we've gone through a fruit roll up, string cheese, opened the wipes, and busted into the cheap bribe toy by the time we check out. I figure, if it's in my cart, it's mine. Isn't possession 90% of the law.

Oh--that bitch would have totally ate it if I were you. No--she wouldn't have, but I would have talked HELLA shit about her later.

Katy said...

Yay for better hair. I was worried. I hate those haircuts that you absolutely hate...heh, almost said hait...that would have been clever. Anywho! What a grocery aisle hogging bitch. May her fish go bad!!

amandak said...

When I lived in Cedar, I drove all the way across town to shop at the Albertson's mostly because they had the widest aisles. Here, not only do they have narrow aisles, but they put displays all over in them, particularly the heavy traffic aisles, like bread, and cereal, so that you can barely fit ONE cart through, and passing someone is totally impossible.

If those bitches didn't feel like shit after baby Noah got his finger pinched, then they are not human, and should have THEIR fingers pinched by massive shopping carts forever in hell.

Stine said...

I agree with Mandy, that aisle lady, needs to have a new toilet boil cleaner shoved up her arse.