Friday, January 27, 2006

Swedish for won't drink milk

Yesterday we needed to get out of the house. So I decided to go to the Wal-Mart vision center to see if they could fix my favorite pair of glasses that Noah broke a couple of months ago. Well, they can’t. Since the hinge is broken they said my best bet was to take it to a jeweler. Though that one small errand was my whole plan for going out, I decided we weren’t ready to go home yet. So we headed to the Monster Pets so Noah could rejoice over the bunnies, birds, fish, doggies and lizards. Oh and spend a great deal of time playing with the dog toys. And then since it was lunch and I was starving we went over to the Ikea to eat. They have a $.99 kids menu there but it’s mostly unhealthy crap, like every other place. Don’t kids eat anything besides mac & cheese and fried food? So I got a mozzarella, basil and pepper panini and the salmon entrĂ©e with mixed vegetables and potatoes and we picked at both. Then we headed over to the kids furniture area where Noah spent a good 40 minutes sitting in little chairs, at little tables and running through tunnels. He had a blast. It was just what he needed. Me too for that matter. And of course we didn’t go home empty handed. In addition to the lovely Swedish ginger thins and Ligonberry sparkler, we got Noah a table, two chairs and a car wash curtain – by which I mean a curtain of brightly colored plastic strips now hanging over his bedroom doorway.

By the time we set out for home it was 2pm and Noah hadn’t yet napped for the day – and he was exhausted. So much so that he fell asleep in the car without nursing. This has happened maybe twice before in his whole existence. And he was so solidly asleep that I was able to take off his coat, sweater and shoes and put him in his crib without waking. And since we skipped a feeding I decided to try and pump – and lo and behold I was able to get a whopping 2.5 ounces. After his nap I gave him the breast milk in a cup. He took one sip, shook his head no and threw it on the floor. It was the exact same reaction he gives for cow milk and soy milk. So I guess it’s not just that he doesn’t like milk – it’s that he doesn’t want it in a cup. I guess now I’m going to start buying all kinds of crazy cups to see if that will make a difference. I might start with a straw.

This morning we had Frannie come and visit us again so her mom could take her mother-in-law to a doctor appointment. Frannie and Noah played well together and the time flew by. When Susan came back we went over to Holly’s house for lunch and to play with Tripp. Noah ate up a storm and got hooked on cantaloupe, and then the toddlers cavorted merrily. Tripp is a really smiley rambunctious little guy and when he started squealing with glee, a very over-tired Noah started to cry. It was time to go home.

Naps are an issue right now. I like to have Noah on a schedule. It works for both him and I. Problem is that we’re transitioning from a two nap schedule to one nap. Technically it would be best for him to take one nap from 1 – 3 pm, but sometimes he seems really tired at 11 am. However if I put him down then he sleeps til noon and I can’t get him to take another nap in the afternoon. Which therefore leaves him grumpy in the couple of hours before bedtime. I know the solution is to just keep him up at 11 am, now I just have to stick to it even if I feel like I need a midmorning nap.

The weekend is now upon us. Saturday we will clean and move the crib. FOR REALS. Sunday we are off to Freehold to celebrate Laima’s 96th birthday at the always lovely Fritzy’s German Restaurant. Hope you folks have a lovely weekend!

7 comments:

lonna said...

2.5 ounces is amazing. I wasn't getting that when Dermot was only on breast milk.

I love the table and chairs. They are really cute.

We haven't gotten the whole nap thing down either. I can't keep Dermot up if he wants to nap at noon because he comes up to me and begs to nurse. I don't turn him down when he asks, so he ends up falling asleep in my lap. At daycare he sleeps from 12:50 - 2:50 pretty regularly. I try to be out and about before lunch, come home to eat lunch and then try to get Dermot to sleep, but that doesn't usually work to well either. I'm anxious to see how this weekend goes since he's now sleeping on the futon full time.

lonna said...

I forgot to add that I left Dermot for the first time when he was 14 months old. I left some frozen breastmilk for him, but he wouldn't touch it. He was drinking soy milk at the time, so it was no big deal. But I guess that mama's milk has to come straight from the source or it's just useless.

hazel said...

eureka! he only wants his milk straight from the tap. that's actually a really valuable piece of information. I do recommend the straw. maybe noah just wants to suck. milk, of course. not suck in general, like he'll grow up to not want to do any homework or get a job.

we haven't taken bella to ikea since she could walk. what the hell are we waiting for??? I may actually do that this weekend. good call.

Missuz J said...

Love the curtain, the table, and the chairs. I used to have to pump like EVERY DAY and generally got 2 ounces out of each side. Second period was right before lunch, and if I didn't remember to put in a couple of extra nursing pads, I'd end up leaking all over. Quite shocking to a group of teenagers.

It's SO hard to fill the days with a toddler sometims--especially in the winter. The furniture store was a great idea. Someday I'd like to see an Ikea. I'd never heard of them until I started hanging out with y'all

Anonymous said...

Suggestion for the nap might be between 12:30-1:00. I know if my son takes his nap too early that he's WAY too tired by the end of the day, but I definitely remember when he was Noah's age how he would get really tired around 11 and I would have to try hard to keep him awake. I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but if you can take him outside when he gets cranky and sleepy, it might help keep him awake without him being a total mess. Just something that worked for me...

Kathryn said...

How and when does is one able to put an infant on a nap schedule? I'm so tired right now I can barely function.

I love the Ikea kids section. Almost all of E's nursery came from there.

Kodi said...

Ahhhh! How I wish we had an Ikea, or a childrens furniture store. All we have is a Walmart, which isn't nearly as much fun.