Monday, January 23, 2006

Helter skelter

This weekend had its up and downs. Saturday I came home from what I consider a disappointing haircut to a giant purple goose egg on the center of Noah’s forehead. Seems he slipped and hit his head on the floor. I’m certain the same thing could happen every day under my watch, but it still made me feel guilty for leaving. I could tell Mark felt just awful about it. Despite the fall, Noah was in good spirits and playing happily. He didn’t seem to have any of the symptoms of a head trauma. We checked the book several times during the day just to make sure. We’re weird like that.

Janette and baby Jules came to visit in the afternoon. We haven’t spent much time with them in MONTHS, so it was really great to see them. Janette has this way about her that always makes me feel loved and grounded, so a visit from her was long overdue. And in the two and a half months since Noah’s birthday party Jules had become a boy. He’s almost eight months old now – crawling and pulling up on everything in sight. He’s gone from just chomping on hands and rattles to playing with toys. Those two months are some seriously pivotal ones. It’s just plain amazing how much they change. It was cute to see Noah and Jules interact. The boys seemed to be having a good time, despite the fact that Noah was running a teething related fever of about 102.

After we had a dinner of enchiladas de mole from Taco Riendo, Tracey came by for a visit. She said Noah’s bruise made it look like he was growing a horn. I put Noah to bed just before nine and Janette and Jules hit the road. Tracey was still here at 11, when Noah woke back up and I couldn’t get him back to sleep. It was the beginning of a long night. It was one am by the time we could get him to bed, and it was 4 am when he woke back up again. We all got up and headed to the play room. I think I fell asleep for a half hour, sprawled out on the ground with my face buried in the carpet – while Mark continued to play with the boy. I tried to get him back to sleep at 6:30 – but it was a no go. For some reason Noah didn’t want to nurse. It seemed the position necessary for nursing was a painful one. My guess is that his sinuses were bothering him since it was his second eye tooth that seemed to be causing him problems. Mark however went down like a ton of bricks. The crazy thing is that when Noah was awake he was pretty good natured – running around, playing, looking at books. But any time I tried to put him to sleep he’d cry hysterically. Would you believe that I couldn’t get Noah back to sleep until noon? And that in order to do it I had to put him in the hip hammock and walk around the block a couple of times?

He was like a zombie when he woke up after a three hour nap. My Mom had come to visit with him and it took her an hour to catch a glimpse of his jovial rambunctious self. After dinner we went to the Hancock Rec playground and Noah went down the small slide about 50 times. By 6:30 pm he was exhausted to the point of me not being able to keep him up one more second – so to bed he went. And remarkably he slept straight through til 4 am – and then went back to sleep til 7. And he still woke up cranky and with bags under his eyes. I already put him down for a nap at 10.

I guess the positive thing about all this was that it certainly gave me a reprieve on moving his crib yesterday. It’s gonna have to wait another week. At the moment I wouldn't dare create one other reason for him to have difficulties sleeping.

Oh- and the haircut. I have to get up the nerve to call the stylist tomorrow and tell her I have to come in so she can fix my hair. I should have said something right away but she didn't really ask me what I thought before I left and since her next client was there and a walk-in, in my state of not-liking-my-hair shock I just ran out the door. I wanted really clean, sleek layers but what I got was an 80’s shag. I figure it’ll look a million times better if she takes the back layer up about an inch so it looks less mullety. Til then I have to stop looking in the mirror.

4 comments:

Stine said...

80's shag? Call that woman. I just have flashbacks of my very own 80's shag mullet, and it made me sweat.

Poor little bruised Noah. Here's to his head healing.

hazel said...

oh my god, I'm surprised you're not bald by now because of pulling your hair out over that sleep episode. I would be, my lord!!!!

this entry made me miss my emails with you where we talk about what happened each day. I don't know why, because I get the same info here, but I just...I miss you, I guess.

lonna said...

How awful about the sleeping. At least it was a weekend and you had someone else who could stay up with/for you. Ugh.

I hate getting a bad haircut. I hope that she's able to fix it for you. Haircuts cost so much these days, that you should be happy with what you get.

Poor Noah's head. I used to just hate it when Dermot would get marks on his face. He's got a scratch on his nose right now. It just reminds us how fragile and strong they are at the same time.

Missuz J said...

I wish you a good night's sleep and a non mullet hair cut.