Monday, February 13, 2006

Not for the weak of breast

Pretty standard weekend. Saturday I got my new glasses and then we took the boy to Ikea to run off some energy before we were trapped in the house by the snow. The snow came Saturday evening and continued through Sunday afternoon. It was our first significant snowstorm this winter. I think the suburbs got a little snow shower in December, but it never stuck in Philly. So first snow – and it’s February. Crazy. I think we got a little under a foot.

As you can tell from the photos I took the boy out to romp in the snow on Sunday afternoon while Mark shoveled the walk. We walked around the block – mostly in the middle of the street since the sidewalks were impassible and there was virtually no traffic. We did however have to make way a couple of times for a truck pulling four men in a row boat through the snow-covered streets. It looked like serious fun. Anyway, the boy was mesmerized by the snow. It was funny to watch him “observe” it as studiously as he does all new things.

Last night was a horrible night for sleeping. To make a long story short:

2:30 am Noah awakes
2:30 am – 3:30 am Noah nurses and nurses and nurses – I’m sure he didn’t get more than a few minutes of milk, it was more about the comfort. Anytime he’d seem to drift off and I’d unlatch him he’d cry bloody murder.
3:30 My nipples couldn’t take it one more second. I too was beginning to cry. So I stopped the nursing.
3:30 am – 4:30 am Noah cried and asked to be nursed almost the entire hour. He kept collapsing on the Boppy at which point I had Mark hide it before he went back to bed upstairs. Noah was hysterical, but I just couldn’t nurse him. I was in pain. And the whole time he’s freaking out I’m thinking “This kid is NEVER gonna wean.”
4:30 – 5:30 am After a little recuperation time I gave in and returned to nursing. It took an additional hour to get him back into his crib without waking. Ouch.

It was a nerve racking, heart breaking and nipple injuring evening. I don’t know if it was caused by teething or the head cold Noah has been developing. Either way, it sucked. I hope we don’t have a repeat of that any time soon, especially not tonight. Today was a lazy day, including a nap for us both from 1:30 to 4:00 pm. Maybe tomorrow we’ll even leave the house. And now I’m off to read a book. Or more likely doze off while attempting to read a book.

3 comments:

lonna said...

Oh Nicole, I'm so sorry that you're in pain. Dermot tends to grind his teeth on me when he's teething, and sometimes relatching works, but a lot of the time it doesn't. I really wish I had some advice for you, but I just don't.

hazel said...

I can't wait until both of us are able to reclaim our boobs as our own.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear you had such an awful night. It WILL get better. He won't be like this forever, I promise! I've been there too (recently) so I know how bad this is. Lonna is right about him nursing differently if he's cutting teeth. I've noticed this too. Hang in there!!!