Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I don't normally talk of such things, but what else is there.

The House of Eggerts is covered in snot. Well, maybe not the ENTIRE house, but the boy and I to be sure. I’m not sick. YET. But covered in contaminated baby snot makes it a pretty sure thing. I’m like dead woman walking over here.

So last night was atrocious because of said snot. I finally gave up on trying toget Noah back to sleep at 3 am and took him downstairs. Not before shooting death rays at a peacefully sleeping Mark. Don’t get me wrong – I know he has to get some sleep because he has work in the morning and can’t join in on one of his bosses naps. But in the middle of the night I couldn’t quite get that reasoning to quell the thoughts of “Damn him for sleeping.” But Mark’s time was soon to come. At 3:45 am our power went out. And though I might take full responsibility for caring for an awake sickly baby in the middle of the night I wasn’t about to do it in the dark. So I woke him up so he could find the candles, lighters and flashlights. Fun stuff.

I called the pediatrician who after being told he was still eating and didn’t have a temperature told me to just let him drip it out. Well, my words – not hers, but you get the drift. My mom said to put some Vicks on the boy, but the pediatrician advised against it. She told me to just keep using the humidifier and put a pillow under his crib mattress so he’s on an incline. She said if he gets real bad I could give him some Benadryl.

I have plans to go downtown today in two hours to watch them light up the Christmas tree at City Hall. I can’t decide whether to abandon them or not. On one hand I don’t know if being outside will be detrimental to the boy, on the other he could use the distraction, as could I. He’s awfully sleepy though and is having napping problems because when I lay him down he can’t breath right. Maybe leaving the house with him would be a nightmare, or maybe he’d blissfully fall asleep upright in his stroller. What say you?

8 comments:

hazel said...

strollerize that baby. worst case scenario is he is miserable and you turn back, which brings you back to where you'd be if you didn't do anything at all.

what about pediacare decongestant drops? we swear by them. benadryl is a tad drastic. and what's wrong with vicks? they make a baby formula.

amandak said...

Sick kids suck ass.

We do the humidifier (always), and sometimes the benadryl (but only at night). The decongestant just seems to dry mine out and keep them awake, but that's TOTALLY different with different kids. Don't really do the vicks thing here, because it always seems like it's going to be a goopy mess, but my mother swears by it. I guess you just have to try a few things, and see what works. One thing I will suggest is push the liquids, hard, water especially. We even try to cut back on the milk while the snot is at it's snottiest, and for Zach, particularly, that really helps, although I don't know if Noah is too young for that. I'd guess a couple days wouldn't hurt him one bit though.

I tend to hide out at home when my kids are sick, but if he digs the stroller, and isn't going to be getting chilled, or overexert himself, I don't see any reason why you couldn't go see the tree. It sounds like good holiday fun.

Good luck, either way, just keep telling yourself, this is GOOD for his immune system, it's GOOD.

lonna said...

When Dermot's sick he doesn't change at all except at night. He still wants to go go go. We haven't found anything that helps his nose, but I'm interested in patrice's idea. We used Little Noses cough/nose stuff and Dermot wouldn't take a second dose. It tasted pretty bad. We're more worried about Dermot's coughs around here, since nose stuff doesn't seem to keep him awake.

I agree with Patrice about going to see the tree. Hopefully he'll sleep or at least be distracted.

Poor Noah and family. I hope this is short lived.

NME said...

The pediatrician said that Vicks is such a strong overpowering scent and she doesn't really recommend it.

Still not sure what I am doing.

Jen said...

I am with you on the snot this afternoon. I just went to the ear, nose and throat center and they shot some stuff up my nose that made it all numb at first, and now I am sneezing like crazy and dripping. Yuck. I wish you the best with the small snot fountain.

hazel said...

the baby formula of vicks is way less overpowering. it's in the aisle with the cough and cold stuff for kids. it's a very mild eucalyptus. we have it and it seemed to work well last year when we used it. just in case you want to try.

Froggylady said...

I say go to the tree lighting (although I'm probably really late on that now)

As for baby boogers, I think that tissues twirled into little nose tampons work great for stopping the drippage. I don't think it's healthy, right or in any way comfortable, but I'm not a mom and boogers are gross. :)

Missuz J said...

I'm late, but I hope you went to the tree lighting. My pal Kod always tells me "Cold doesn't make people sick!" (When she comes over with wet hair in the middle of the winter.) With Soph, it's the humidifier, and sometimes those little plug in vicks things. They put out a "soothing vapor" not as heavy duty as the stuff you rub on, and hell if I know if it works, but when your kids sick, you just do whatever you can.

Oh--a warm bath before bed with eucalyptus oil always helps Soph sleep when she's sick--especially when paired with a hefty dose of Benedryl.

Oh 2--When E is sleeping while Soph is sick, it's all I can do not to hit him over the head with a lead pipe--or some other such bludgening (sp) weapon.