Sunday, November 27, 2005

Loosened belt

The holiday weekend was a whirlwind. Here’s a quick recap before I go downstairs to stare blankly at the TV for an hour before I go to bed. On Thanksgiving Day we spent the afternoon at my Dad and Oma’s place eating “nibbles” and a small and quick taste of their turkey, ham and fixings with my brother Jim’s family. Then we moved on to Mom’s place where we ate another gut busting meal with my stepfather, Aunt Jill and my in-laws. The food was fantastic at both venues and there was plenty of love and attention for the boy as he walked about in circles marveling at all the folks. The boy, the folks and the love – these are the things for which I am most thankful. Friday we hosted our second annual Black Friday Leftover Potluck – which was poorly attended but still a blast with the best and the brightest – by which I mean Ms. Bella. Again we stuffed ourselves silly. Saturday we took the boy to Lowes and a pet store for no other reason but to run down his energy. I imagine this to be what most of my winter days will consist of – finding someplace I can take Noah to let him run free for a bit. That evening Mark and I watched Palindromes, which was demented, sad and wrong – but brilliant. Todd Solondz is a sick weirdo and a genius. You can’t beat his depictions of the frail and the flawed. Today we had breakfast at Silk City diner, Mark cleaned out the car and turned Noah’s car seat forward facing, we went to the park to enjoy the warm spell and I finally finished the thank you notes for Noah’s birthday.

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday – feeling thankful to be spending their time with favorite people in favorite places eating favorite foods.

I have to add that as of late I am horribly, horribly behind in my email correspondence. If you’ve written me recently and I haven’t gotten back to you, please know that it’s weighing on me heavily and I will be in touch very soon. And with that I am off to do nothing for an hour because I NEED to.

5 comments:

Kodi said...

That sounds perfect! Kiri used to love the pet store too, though once she talked me into buying her a rat. She would feed the rat cheetoes on the sly, and he got huge. I still sorta miss that rat.

lonna said...

What a lovely Thanksgiving. Two families giving you and yours so much love. And then to follow that up with Bella and her family. Fun times.

I have been advised that the mall and Burger King and MacDonalds with play centers are good for toddlers in the winter. I can't bring myself to go to Burger King or MacDonalds, so I can't personally vouch for them, but Dermot does love to run around our mall.

Oh, and I haven't seen Palindromes yet, but I love Todd Solondz.

Missuz J said...

I hated finding a place for Soph to run in the winter--and ended up settling on McDonalds--but very first thing in the morning. I figured out when the cleaning crew finished up--right about 8:00, then we'd come right after, before the germs set in. One thing I love about her daycare/preschool is the huge indoor playground.

Also--our local library has a great kids section--far enough removed from the rest that a bit of noise isn't a problem. It has puzzles and games and bean bags. Good luck!

Kathryn said...

Doing nothing is wonderful isn't it? I hope you were successful at doing nothing for at least an hour last night.

hazel said...

franklin mills is HUGE and has alot of room to run around...

plus, you can still take him for walks outside, bundled up.

we had a great time at potluck. your curry was fantastic.