Thursday, December 01, 2005

We did it. We did it. We did it. Hooray!

The weather was in the 50s, we had a date with Susan and Francesca, and we needed the distraction so I decided to bundle up the boogery little bugger and hit the bricks. Though the actual lighting of the tree in Love Park was less than thrilling, it was very cool to see the new illumination effects on City Hall. Noah was a little trooper and seemed to enjoy gawking at all the people and being gawked at, despite his runny nose.

I knew last night was going to be a rough one, so I told Mark to sleep in the guest room since he had to sit through a conference all day today and he’s still recuperating from his own cold. While I put Noah to bed Mark went to the drug store and got every child cold remedy known to man. And when Noah was waking up every half hour due to breathing difficulties I slathered him in Baby Vicks and later gave him some Benadryl. He continued to wake up periodically until shortly before two am. I kept trying to put him down on his slanted crib mattress but he wasn’t having it, so I mostly slept with him next to me with his head in the crook of my arm. When he awoke at two he seemed to be breathing more clearly so I took the pillow out from under the mattress because he didn’t seem fond of sleeping on a slant and laid him back down on his crib. Luckily for us both he stayed put until 5:45 am. That is almost four full hours of interrupted sleep. Hallelujah.

This is the first time Noah has really been sick. He has threatened to get sick once or twice in the past but magically his symptoms always seemed to vanish before they got too serious. I credit his lack of illness to breastfeeding and being at home; I can’t however say it has anything to do with our home habits. In general we are pretty crap when it comes to the hand washing and germ sanitation. It’s one of the things I am often thinking about, but obviously not enough to cover us in antibacterial scrub. What I find most amazing about Noah’s cold is how incredibly chipper he’s been despite it all. Remarkably he’s been in really good spirits despite his dripping nose and problems sleeping. However if this goes on for a couple of days I don’t think that his playful mood is gonna hold up. I know mine isn’t.

Thanks for all your suggestions and support!

4 comments:

lonna said...

I'm so sorry that you guys are still having trouble sleeping. To me it's even worse when it's due to sickness, because I don't feel like I can complain that it's just stubbornness or craziness. I actually feel for the little guy. Dermot's been sick a lot because of day care, but his is usually not that bad and short lived because of the nursing (I think). He has only only really acted sick and that was for two days. Normally whenever he's sick he's the same guy going at a hundred miles an hour. Except that I have to slow him down all of the time to wipe his nose. I really hope that Noah gets better soon. It's so miserable to see little ones suffer.

hazel said...

well, like amanda had said before, it is kind of good for him to get some illness out of the way. once he gets to school age, you want him to have certain antibodies so that he's not sick every other day and missing school. so this is making his immune system stronger. which is a good mantra on snotty nights.

I hope he feels better soon!!

Kathryn said...

Poor Noah bear. Those door pictures are so cute! At least he's in good spirits, eh?

Jen O. said...

Many sources actually advise against using antibacterial products.

Hope you get some sleep soon!