Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Mailings, Mommy dates and Monsters

A tip for the wise: when preparing media kits to be sent to press make sure to check that the folders FIT in the mailing envelopes before you label them all. Duh. And that my friends is what makes me a professional. I’m happy to say however that the salon press kits are complete and will be off in the mail the moment the boy awakes from his nap. I’m not gonna post our work product, but you can check out an article on the salon here. Now I have a break on that front until after the holiday, when my follow-up calling will begin. I can finally get around to doing the thank you notes for Noah’s birthday gifts. And even more mailing fun will ensue! Christmas cards are already on my radar too. I have to get the ball rolling on an executable idea, design, order and mailing list or I’ll be mailing them in February.

Noah’s pal Francesca turns one next week. Her mom is holding a Mommy luncheon tomorrow at her home. Maybe I’ll meet someone interesting for future play dates. Someone cool, but not too cool to hang with me. Someone smart and interesting but not so smart and interesting they think I’m a dullard. Someone funny who needs someone to laugh at their jokes. Someone who lives nearby and is home with their one year old but doesn’t fit the quintessential SAHM mold. Maybe I’ll meet Mrs. Mommy Right. I’m such a DORK. I’m already stressed out about making a good impression and not having anything to wear. There isn’t much I can do on the wardrobe front anyway so I don’t know why I bother. I have to remind myself that one of hidden savings in staying home with Noah is clothes and I can’t really go out and buy a bunch of new outfits despite the fact that all I have now are old T shirts and holey stretched out sweaters. I’ll have to live by my cardinal rule: when in doubt wear black. Even if it’s just a stretched out long sleeved T. Still tres’ chic. Right?

Time for a Noah tale. One of the gifts Noah received for his birthday was a Hokey Pokey Elmo. And though my first inclination was to send it back to the shrieking pits of hell from whence it came, I figured the boy would probably like it. For some odd reason small children are inexplicably drawn to Elmo like Fishtown teens to Oxycontin. Noah certainly seemed to like the look of Elmo. He kept gesturing towards the box where it was perched on the steps to be taken up to his bedroom. So I activated the hokey pokey mode and kiddie Armageddon ensued. Though initially enchanted by the singing when Elmo MOVED Noah started squealing in abject horror. He turned beet red, screaming and crying – honesty afraid for his life. The only other time I saw this severe a reaction is when he put his hand in the Halloween candy bowl at Party City and the withered plastic corpse hand touched him. The cashier had to move the bowl under her register before I could get him to calm down enough so that we could finish our transaction. Needless to say we’ve put Hokey Pokey Elmo away for the time being.

7 comments:

lonna said...

We have been avoiding Elmo around here too. I get a kick out of Chicken Dance Elmo, but that doesn't mean I want one in my house. We bought a dancing Boo-Bah doll and Dermot didn't care that it moved. He liked the music and he liked to kick it over. You just never know what these kids will do.

Good luck at the mommy lunch.

Jen said...

I fit most of your friend characteristics, but do not live nearby and do not have a baby. Poo!

OMH said...

The outfit you wore to his B-day looked good to me - but then again it's not like I see you in very many outfits since you don't post many pictures of yourself. Don't stress you are a super person - I know this cause not many other people catch my interest enough to check on their websited daily much less a couple of times a day.

amandak said...

Poor baby! Scared by that silly old Elmo. He freaks me out too, Noah, don't worry.

Yeah, I'm with you on the Xmas cards. I haven't sent any out in a couple years (lazy), but really should since we're in a new state and all. My mailing list, however, is OLD.

Have fun at the mommy luncheon!

Katy said...

I bought, addressed, and wrote christmas cards last year and they sat in my drawer at work STAMPED until like February when I finally realized they were a lost cause and threw them out. They were so freaking cute too.

Stupid Elmo, Imah gonna come down there and regulate on his furry red ass for scaring master Noah.

hazel said...

I agree with mother hubbard in that the outfit you wore for noah's birthday looked fantastic on you. for a second there, I was like, was mother hubbard THERE?? then I remembered the pictures.

even though I knew the outcome of the elmo story before I read this, I STILL howled with laughter.

Kathryn said...

My goodness you sound organized! I wish I could get that way. Poor Noah, all scared of Elmo. I love Elmo, tickle me Elmo, hokey pokey Elmo. Any Elmo really. Although no one will ever take the place of Ernie. And you thought YOU were the dork!