Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Noah news, Bella praises and Nicole desperation

I haven’t been reporting too much Noah news so I must rectify that first thing. He’s started doing a couple of really sweet things that make me smile. We listen to music nonstop during the day and he’s always enjoyed it. When he’d like a particular song he’d bounce up and down a bit, but now he’s started dancing by spinning in circles. If a song comes on the stereo that he particularly enjoys he’ll go stand in front of it and start spinning. I have to say that he seems to favor The White Stripes, The Beatles and other rockin’ fare – though Mark thinks that Noah’s song choice is based on my reactions. He’s also starting to cuddle and kiss more – at the moment that’s still focused almost exclusively on me (though he loves to pat Mark on the back), but soon I’m sure he’ll branch out more. His version of kissing is still coming at me with a wide open mouth going “Ahhhh” as if he plans to swallow my head. Noah’s ongoing mouth fixation is still in full effect as one of the few words he says is “teeth.” He uses it interchangeably to refer to teeth and the toothbrushes he loves to carry around with him and chew on. In fact Mark and I keep losing our toothbrush because I tend to give Noah the one on the sink to occupy him while I’m trying to blow dry my hair in the morning. He’s also been enjoying throwing balls lately. He tosses them vehemently on the floor in front of him with a “Gah!” He’s also really digging the band in a box set I got him at Toys R Us. Last night after dinner the three of us spent a great deal of time sitting on the kitchen floor kicking out the jams on maracas, the tambourine and drums. And last but not least in our chain of Noah facts is that he’s been using his scrunched up, squinty, smiley face a lot more to express his excitement. I have to catch it on film so I can post it. It’s both super cute and odd.

What else to report? We’ve been busy, but oddly I can’t remember what blogworthy things I can share. Yesterday Noah and I went out to Ldale for a playdate with The Milliceccobachs. Patrice made us a lovely lunch of grilled cheese sandwiches, tomato soup and sugar cookies – and we went to a little playground right by their house. The kids really loved the slide and Noah spent some time just walking around the basketball court and playing with a found basketball (obviously infected with killer cooties) until he rolled over the ball and in some unimaginable way got a brush burn below his nose and nowhere else. Then we chilled in Bella’s playroom for awhile where unfathomably Noah began playing with one of the toys he has at home and never touches rather than the scores of things he’s never seen before. And I have to gush about Baby Bella. She is an adorably chatty little thing – SO advanced verbally that it’s amazing. She’s a sweet smiley ray of sunshine – and the best playdate goin’.

I keep listing things in my head that I haven’t gotten around to blogging about but now I’ve got nothing. In regards to comments on the last post – Missuz J gave the invaluable suggestion of taking Noah to the library to get out of the house when it is cold. Brilliant! Lonnna mentioned Mickey D’s – however the urban McDonalds tend to be a bit unclean and often house a cast of unsavory characters which is probably why most of them don’t have Playlands. I’ve also decided that the Ikea showroom would be a fun place to roam too. It’ll be like visiting other people’s homes but without the hosts.

Oh. I keep forgetting about my coffee shop encounter last week. Noah and I went to Canvas Coffee shop in Fishtown more for the out-of-houseness then the lovely cranberry muffin and Chai Latte we enjoyed. The only other customers there were a tall thin woman and her precociously cute blonde ringleted daughter who greeted us when we entered by exclaiming “Look! It’s a mama and a baby!” The little girl was ALL over Noah, completely enchanted with him and instantly in his face. To the point that Noah backed up and clung to my leg while she got nose to nose with him. She looked and sounded about six, but was in fact 4 and a half. The mom explained that her husband was French and they just moved to Fishtown from France (as you do…) and that they hadn’t really met many people yet which is why the little girl was SO desperate for attention. I talked a little bit about the neighborhood and the local parks and then gave her my email address and phone number should she be interested in going to the park or something. And after they left I realized that there is NO WAY to offer your contact information to a complete stranger on first meeting without seeming completely desperate. THIS is why I hated dating.

10 comments:

Stine said...

I love that little kid "kiss" when they come at you full barrell with a mouthful of slobber and love.

Anonymous said...

One place I take my children is Chic Fil A (free standing ones, not in the mall) and they are usually quite a bit cleaner and nd don't usually have the same type of people you described! Of course I"m sure every area is different, but that is how it is where I live. Our library is great too, they have a separate toddler room and they also have baby time 2-3 times a week (music & story). You might want to see if yours has one.

hazel said...

ooo, I didn't read the post in question, but I agree about ikea. trent used to love it there. they have ball pits! besides all the living rooms and stuff.

aw, thanks for saying nice stuff about bella. we had a great time with you guys. I hope we can do it more in the future.

OMH said...

If you don't give out your info the first time you meet a stranger - when will you EVER see them again? One of my daughters favorite "Play dates" for my grandson, she met the lady and her daughter at a garage sale. They became friends! So.............don't feel desperate just know you took advantage of an opportunity.

lonna said...

I am fascinated by the differences between Noah and Bella's development since they are so close in age. Noah seems so interested in the world and getting around within it, and Bella seems so interested in people and trying to communicate.

Dermot gives kisses now that include a closed mouth (usually), but no pucker yet. We make him kiss us whenever he hurts us, so that he realizes that he did something to one of us. Otherwise, he's clueless. I am hoping that it teaches him some empathy.

Kathryn said...

It sounds much more like you were being friendly than desperate. I'm sure she was very greatful!

Katy said...

And here I was thinking how cool it was that you had just offered yourself up to that woman. She needs friends as much as you do and I agree with mother hubbard. when else are you going to give them contact info?

Jen said...

At least Noah is using his scrunched up face yo show excitement- most kids use that face when they are taking a dump, I think.

I don't think it sounded desperate, just friendly.

Missuz J said...

Happy Noah kisses!!!

Today we were totally feeling the cold weather. Way too much tv for both of us--and now I have this nasty tv hangover.

amandak said...

I exchanged numbers once with a stranger in a restaurant. She had little kids and was sitting next to us and we ended up chatting a little. I never called her, and she never called me, but just knowing that someone who doesn't know me thought I was cool enough to consider spending more time with gave me such a boost. Even if that's the end of your contact with that other mother, it was worth it. Small things matter, and it's good karma either way. I still think about calling her, but I think it would seem a little crazy at this point.

I love how kids are so different. Seeing Zach and Sophie together at Thanksgiving reminded me so much of that. Everyone develops differently, and it was neat to see their different personalities interact.