Monday, November 07, 2005

The hostess with the mostest ridiculous worries.

When we were house hunting I told the realtor I was looking for something with a really open floor plan on the ground floor so that we could entertain. When we walked into our current home we knew immediately it was the right place – you could see from the front door all the way through to the back door. And over the years we’ve thrown two big house parties a year as well as three bridal showers and a wedding rehearsal dinner. But Noah’s birthday party ushered in a new kind of shindig – welcoming family, babies a plenty and our drunkard friends all to one bash. Though it was my original idea to have one party for everyone, as the day got closer I started worrying. That IS what I do best. Would it be too crowded? Would everyone enjoy themselves? Would the older folks be appalled by the behavior of the younger folks? Would the childless be put off by the sheer number of infants in attendance (7!)? Would the in-laws mesh? Would my divorced folks get on okay? Would everyone leave at 9 pm? It was an incredible number of variables. And the morning of the party I was filled with a bit of dread after it took three tries to make coffee and Mark accidentally set off both the car and house alarm. Clearly it was going to be a challenging day.

But GOD I am such a ridiculous worry wart! The first hour Mark and I were a bit harried because we were running behind schedule. The sandwich trays weren’t ready on time so Mark was stuck at the shop waiting for them and I spent a ridiculous amount of time meticulously hanging streamers rather than readying the rest of the food. I lost my chance to freshen up before the party with a shower or even a moment to run a brush through my damn hair – but I have only bad time management to blame for that. But once everyone settled in and started eating, chatting and drinking all was well. I always get a warm feeling in my heart when I see an odd couple talking at one of our parties - my Oma speaking German to Mark’s cousin’s husband Bill, band man Frazier flirting with Mark’s Grandma Laima, my cousin Tammy’s three year old Aelan asking to sit on our friend Audrey’s lap, Jen Oliver playing peek-a-boo in Noah’s new tent. These are the memorable moments at parties. And Noah – he seemed to enjoy himself too. I guess he didn’t get the memo about the birthday boy crying because he observantly checked it all out for a few hours and shortly after began toddling around the floor as if nothing was amiss. Every once in awhile I’d just think “who has my baby?” and I’d spot in the arms of one of the grandparents or a friend. In my opinion it turned out to be a really lovely evening. And it really touches me that to know that Noah has such a large group of people who came out to celebrate him – well, and drink beer. Though the invite said we’d be serving beer til the last guest left, we ran out. Mark advised me we’d never drink a keg and if we bought four cases we’d have plenty to spare. Did he forget who he was dealing with? This crowd drank a lot and didn’t eat enough. People – how dare you leave me here with so much freaking dip? Next time – EAT. Luckily after the beer was gone we had wine and Patty’s cherry vodka to pacify the crowds until the house shut down at 1:30 am. Boy were we beat yesterday. And today for that matter. The house is still in a semi-shambles. If you come over and clean it I will reward you with dip.

Thanks folks. We love you.

10 comments:

lonna said...

1:30? Wow, that's a lot of love. That must be a really warm feeling to know that Noah could be in several different people's arms and that he was always safe. That's what I always expected of having children, but it hasn't really happened for us. I am so glad that your party went so well.

Anonymous said...

If you ever learn NOT to worry about everything, I will not recognize you. You did a lovely job, and I didn't even notice you didn't shower!! It was a lovely party - partly because the crowd was so diverse. I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer to see Noah toddling around without being so pensive. Had a wonderful time - Thanks!!

Unknown said...

I am a worry wart, too! Since we are moving, Joseph's 2nd birthday will probably be at McDonald's. The house won't be together and right now I think it will be the easiest thing.

Glad everything went smoothly. Looks like the little man had a blast as he should.

Whatever you have at your house always comes together :o)

Missuz J said...

Again, it sounds like the party was the absolute BOMB! If it's not TOO forward of me to say so, here's hoping that I'll be able to attend one of your great house parties someday.

:)

Kodi said...

mmmmmm, dip. If I lived in close proximity to you, I'd clean for dip. The party sounds fab.

Jen O. said...

Girl, your constant blog worry stresses ME out! But at the party, the naked eye would never know that you suffered so much pre-party worry. We had a great time, and I look forward to playing Tent with Noah (and Bella!) again some time soon.

PS: Damn you, cherry vodka. DAMN YOU!!

hazel said...

I am so bummed that I didn't have the wherewithall to stay later. I feel like a party pooper.

you may have had alot of dip left, but I noticed that the bucket of meat was heartily dug into, which warmed my heart.

I love your parties, having been to probably all of them. and you ALWAYS worry beforehand.

amandak said...

Sounds like good times were had by all. I relate to the hostess worrying thing. Not that I've done much of it lately. I think it's a sign of how much you care for your guests, and the degree of hospitality you want to extend when those people come to your home. It's all about the love, and I can tell there was TONS of it in your home for your little man and your family.

Jen said...

I would clean for dip, but the drive is a litle too far.

I am a big worry wart too. I clean things that people will never see before anyone comes over just in case.

NME said...

I think Mandy is right. I just want so badly for EVERYONE to have a good time. I had to laugh when I was talking to my Dad about pre-party worrys and he told me that he feels the EXACT same way before he hosts a get-together. Guess I got the worry gene honestly.

And if you ever come visit Becca we'll throw a party in your honor.