Monday, September 05, 2005

We’ve come from the water.

Our week in Ocean City was fast and furious. Rather than recount the days hour by hour I thought I’d give you a few highlights and regrets.

Highlight #1 Up at the crack of dawn
My favorite part of each day was the wee hours of the morning when Mark, Noah and I would take a stroll to avoid waking up the other house guests. We watched the sunrise, got coffee, went to the laundrymat, and greeted the towns other early birds – parents, seniors and joggers. It was peaceful and soothing to be out in the world making the most of the day while everyone else was nestled in their beds.

Regret #1 Up at the crack of dawn.
While I loved being up in the morning, I hated how tired it made me the rest of the day. Beach days always make me groggy, but sleep deprived beach days are downright exhausting.

Highlight #2 The young man and the sea
The first two days at the beach Noah was cautious and pensive. He was instantly in love with the crowds and the seagulls, but he was definitely daunted by the sand and sea. He clung to my bathing suit with a vice-like grip. On day three, as if awoken to a revelation Noah took off in the sand, crawling straight for the ocean. He wanted to be awash in the waves, savoring the sand. He adored the beach and may be making plans to live out his days in a hut on the dunes as I type.

Regret #2 The young man and the lady
Noah was once again afraid of Bella. He cried almost every time she touched him or made a peep. He jumped when she made a sudden noise or movement. He was terrified of her and it was heartbreaking. At first I thought it would pass quickly, but it lasted Monday through Thursday. And it had me pretty depressed because I so look forward to Noah and Bella starting a lifelong friendship. I was also looking forward to watching my boy enjoy his beach week so watching him be afraid and sad really hurt my spirit. I’m happy to say that by Thursday night he was over it – but for those couple of days in between I felt a low.

Highlight #3 The weather
Despite projected reports of a week of clouds and thundershowers we had excellent weather and made it to the beach for a bit every day.

Regret #3 The weather
Katrina was devastating. So much sadness. So much destruction. So many bad political decisions. Mark and I will be making a donation to The Red Cross.

Highlight #4 Our village
It’s so nice to have a houseful of loving hearts and hands to mind your child. It is one of the biggest assets to traveling with friends and family – you can each take turns minding the store so everyone can get some alone time. And I couldn’t have picked a better bunch of people with which to share my vacation.

Regret #4 Not enough alone time
I got away from Noah three times in the week while we were gone. Once to go grocery shopping. Once out for an extraordinary dinner for Mark’s birthday at 4th Street Café. And once for an hour on the beach with my mom. I had hoped to get some alone time with Patrice and some alone time alone, but there just weren’t enough hours in the day. Coupled with the fact that I am one very clingy mom who has a hard time asking for alone time because I enjoy being with Noah so much. But it can be taxing to realize that being a mom is a full-time job and there is no real vacation even when you are on vacation.

Despite a few tiny regrets it was a truly wonderful getaway. We all had the post-vacation blues when we got home on Saturday. Even Noah was out of sorts. Luckily we had a picnic at my Dad’s to look forward to on Sunday. The sun was shining, the kids were playing and my Dad was manning the grill. It was fun.

Mark has to go back to work tomorrow and I don’t want to let him go. The house is full of half folded laundry and half unpacked bags. But I’d rather have us all go to the zoo and pretend we’re still away. Oh well, if you vacationed all the time you’d have nothing to vacation from. Right?

7 comments:

Jen said...

Glad you're back. But I don't know about vacationing all the time being bad. I would take it any day!

amandak said...

YAY! You're back!!

Sounds like you guys had a great time. It's SO true about never really being on vacation when you travel with your kid(s). It's also true that it almost feels like being a kid again to watch them discover all those new things. almost.

Unknown said...

I am playing catch up. I am glad you had such a great time at the beach. I love Ocean City sooo much. I absolutely love that Boardwalk!!! I get homesick just thinking about it.

lonna said...

I'm glad that you had such a great vacation. I'm glad that Noah eventually loved the beach and was able to enjoy Bella's company. Someday we plan to make it to Ocean City with Dermot. Ethan has such fond memories of going there every summer. To me going to the beach has always meant Lake Michigan, and when I was a kid it was filthy and not really worth seeing. I'm glad that the Oceans of this country have had better luck.

Katy said...

Yay! You're back! Never leave us again!! Ok, maybe you can leave us...if you have to. I'm glad to hear you guys had fun and that Noah liked the beach. How can a Noah not like the water anyway? And don't worry about Noah and Bella. Babies are used to being around big people. When there around another little person it's got to be a bit freaky, new sounds, new smells, new feels. Anywho, glad you're back and so glad you had fun.

Missuz J said...

Hooray for your fun vacation! I wish you and Patrice had been able to have some just girl time together. Mandy and I rarely have a chance to just be alone as sisters sans kids--but when we get to, it's almost like we're missing an arm or something. Ok. That made no sense at all.

Kodi said...

HIP HIP HOORAY! Your vacation sounds almost perfect. I hate when a vacation ends and I'm left staring at the suitcases and dirty clothes. Glad you're back.