Friday, September 23, 2005

No rest for the wicked

Noah wanted to play at 4 this morning and proceeded to keep me up until 5:30. When he woke back up at 6:30 he appeared to be exhausted, so I anticipated it being difficult to keep him up until his 9 am nap. Not so. In fact Noah didn’t take his morning nap at all. He stayed up until 1:50 pm. I hesitated blaming it on teething again because I’ve been waiting for his top teeth to come in for months now. Plus he didn’t really seem to be in any pain – just like he was far too busy to sleep. But sure enough when I finally got a look into his mouth not only did I feel the ridges of teeth – but I could see them. And his gums look swollen and bloody. Poor thing.

I was so tired from our morning escapade that I laid down with him when he finally fell asleep – but woke up after an hour. But now I feel not quite asleep, not quite awake – a bit light-headed and detached, like I’m drunk. Don’t know if I should go try to walk it off or get back into bed.

Big plans this weekend include cleaning and the zoo – but luckily not cleaning the zoo.

5 comments:

lonna said...

I always felt strange blaming things on teething too, because teething can go on for ever. I'm glad that they are finally cutting through. That's when Dermot was the worst. We're going through some of this with his 2 year molars. They seem to move up and down. It will be nice when they are here though because then we'll be done with teething! I hope that Noah's restlessness is over now that he's gotten those teeth to cut through. Poor guy. Teething seems so hard on these kids.

Jen said...

Cleaning the zoo would take a lot longer than a weekend, I think, so luckily you only have a house to take care of. Sometimes I feel like my house IS a zoo, though.

Missuz J said...

Sister time is so precious, especially when it doesn't happen as often as you'd like. I can't believe how much Noah has grown up since I started reading your blog. Amazing.

Unknown said...

Yes, teething can be a bitch. Joseph has been getting his molars in and whenever he is teething he just drools. He refuses to wear a bib, he just pulls them off. Not sure about Noah, but he gets fevers and has had the runs in the past.

Have fun at the zoo!! Say hello to the polar bear for me!

Katy said...

I always thought that teethings general suckiness was kind of weird. I mean I realize why it hurts I just don't understand why it has to. Seems like a flaw in human development if you ask me. Like maybe the guns should be two seperate sets of tissue and when teeth are ready to come through they just squeeze in between the gums. Or there should be teeth follicles like there are hair follicles. Next time I'm an all powerful being and creating a race, I'm definitely adding teeth follicles to the list of needs.