Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The little things that kill

I didn’t blog yesterday because I couldn’t think of anything of interest to write about. Nothing too exciting going on and nothing to complain about. I feel the same today so I have decided to do what some others have done when they are at a loss for what to write. I will make a list.

Ten mundane things I dislike
1. The feeling of crumbs sticking to my bare feet as I walk across the kitchen floor
2. The taste of stomach acid that I almost always have in the back of my throat
3. Being rushed/being late
4. Not being able to find something when I'm trying to get out the door
5. Being hung up on/ignored
6. The blurry vision that comes on at the start of a migraine headache
7. Any photograph where I look chinny and shiny- which are most
8. Sleeping alone
9. Buyers remorse
10. Procrastinating on returning an email/phone call, sending a birthday card, thank you card or gift - and having someone think that I am not thoughtful and didn't think about them.

Ten mundane things I like
1. Falling in love with a new album
2. The sound of a cat purring
3. Noah’s nonsensical happy chattering
4. Finding something that actually fits me when I go shopping – that continues to fit me when I get it home and wear it a few times.
5. Potatoes – in almost every form. But don’t you dare put gravy (nasty fatty meat drippings) on them.
6. Spending time with my husband just talking – about books, movies, politics, religion, people, life.
7. Wandering the streets of a new place and thinking about what it would be like to live there
8. A small inexpensive BYOB with top notch food where the waiter knows your face - and that you can recommend to friends who will in turn love it too.
9. Curling up on the couch and reading a good book for a few uninterrupted hours
10. Sitting outside on a crisp morning with a cup of coffee and a cigarette – though I hope to never ever do this again.

My sister Elisha is making her way to us via Greyhound as we speak. We will pick her up at the station at 8pm. If she's not too tired from ten hours of bus I hope to go out for a drink after I put Noah to bed. I'm very excited to see her. It's been far too long.

8 comments:

Kathryn said...

I hate crumbs on my feet too, gross. Just a constant reminder that I need to clean.

I've never understood the point of thank you notes. I usually just call or email and tell someone thanks. The little wastes of paper just go right into the trash anyway after the person says "oh that's nice". People do get upset about not getting them though. Very strange to me.

Have fun with your sister! And please God have a drink for me ;)

NME said...

I don't mind not receiving thank you notes - but I worry that others will be hurt if I don't send them. I always worry about not appearring thankful ENOUGH.

Katy said...

I suck at niceties.

hazel said...

I am bad with thank you notes. I say thank you in person, which I'd think is better than something mailed, but whatev.

I love sitting around talking to your husband too.

I'm excited about elisha coming up. I hope you guys have a great time.

lonna said...

I love potatoes in all forms too. I always say it's the Irish in me. I love them with veggie gravy that we buy in a packet too, though.

I just adore hearing Dermot's little chattering too. It always makes me smile.

I hope that you have a great time with your sister. Ten hours on a Greyhound sounds awful.

Anonymous said...

I also love:

Honest, intellectual chatting with you and your hubby - most of my intellectual conversation is with my staff and they are usually just trying to impress me.
Anything Noah does!!!
Potatoes - with the gravy!!
I also hate:
Thank you notes when you have opened the gift in front of them and already said thanks in person.
Pantyhose
Yes - Buyers remorse, but I'll expand it to any time you get that horrible sinking feeling in your stomach that you have just done something you will regret.
PS - That cigarette thing wasn't recently was it??

NME said...

Mom -
I hate conversations with people who are just trying to impress me. And pantyhose too.

And I haven't had a cigarette since beginning of March 2004. Nor do I intend to.

amandak said...

Buyer's Remorse. I have that ALL the time. HATE IT.

I do, however, love the potatoes. Especially mom's smashed p'nates dad's gravy. Yummm.

The tater nickname came from Boobecca's Janzen at about 4 yrs. old.

Can you tell I'm missing my family today?