Thursday, September 29, 2005

Peep this, buddy!

It feels like fall today, and I for one am grateful. It’s been one long hot summer that has kept Noah and I cooped up in the AC for far too long. I hope we have a nice long mild fall before the winter blahs come.

Mark and I decided this week to spend the weekend before our third wedding anniversary at the Fall Foliage Festival in Jim Thorpe. With Master Noah, of course. I’m very excited. I know Mark and I will enjoy ourselves, and I think we’ve decided on a locale and activities that will keep Noah interested too. We’ll peep leaves, ride old trains and buggies, explore mines and mansions and generally feel fall-like. All the downtown hotels and B&Bs are pricey, booked and don’t allow tots – so we’re staying at the Lantern Lodge just outside of town. If you’ve been to Jim Thorpe and have some favorite things to do or places to eat let me know. We’ve never been and would love some helpful hints to form an agenda. I’m so eager to get out of the house that I don’t know if I can wait another two weeks. I want to be a leaf-peeper right now.

The trip to the dealership to repair the bumper was as successful as you can expect. It took only a half hour to get there and a half hour to repair. Noah slept on the way there but stayed awake the entire 50 minute return drive, but I kept him placated with food. He ate the entire way home! He had a biter biscuit, a piece of whole wheat pita, some water and a fruit wagon wheel. His car seat is a mess – but it was a small price to pay. The price for the bumper repair was not so small. The part, labor and realignment cost $140 – for a few minutes of work. Car prices are scandalous. They always make me angry.

Noah however enjoyed his time in the Saturn dealer play area. It’s this little cubicle of a room stuffed with old dilapidated, dirty toy parts that dealer families have probably donated rather than throw away. Noah mostly played with the giant legos and the lego table that was covered in snack crumbs from a previous inhabitant, hopefully from earlier in the day and not days past. That is when he wasn’t trying to charm the old codger. This grumpy looking old man was sitting at a round table directly in front of the play area and Noah kept going to the door and trying to talk to him. Noah would smile and say “Da Da Da Da Digga Digga Da” and smile again. He was using his best shtick to get a grin out of the guy or at least an acknowledgement of his existence. But this bastard barely would look at him other than to grimace with a look of “I hope this kid shuts up soon.” I wanted to stone him, the evil soulless bastard. If he was so disenchanted with infants he should have sat farther away from the play area – idiot. I hope he suffers from horrible IBS or erectile dysfunction. Or is visited by ghosts of Christmas past, present and future.

7 comments:

hazel said...

I love jim thorpe!! last time I was there, I got a tattoo. maybe that's what noah will come back with.

the fall foliage festival is really cool because there are alot of vendors. and the way the town is situated, you get an excellent view of the mountains and the trees. it's beautiful.

there's a giant piece of coal outside the railroad station (which is cute). make sure you get a picture of noah on it! one thing to remember - there are precious few bathrooms around.

MC said...

Isn't the cool old prison with the Molly Maguire handprint in Jim Thorpe too? I think it is...I remember going there with a bunch of campers when I worked at Girl Scout camp.

I also recall some fun shopping...

hazel said...

oh right!!!

I went to the prison last time, but was too late to take a tour. the story was really quite cool though.

lonna said...

That old, grumpy guy must not be of this earth. How can one fail to succumb to the charms of Master Noah? Really, that just doesn't seem possible.

Your trip sounds delightful. I love fall, and we get so precious little of it out here. We tend to have winter and summer with about 2 weeks of spring and 2 weeks of fall.

amandak said...

Someday I will go to the east coast to see the fall colors. I've seen pictures, and the only thing in my experience that even comes close is the aspens turning in southern Utah. I'm really going to miss those aspens this fall. I haven't been in Albuquerque in the fall though, so I'm holding out hope.

oh, thank god, a word verification I can actually type today, I've been getting ridiculously difficult ones all morning. Thanks javlpk.

Posted by Holly Marie said...

Hi, I'm responding to your comment that a place to stay was in short supply:

All the downtown hotels and B&Bs are pricey, booked and don’t allow tots – so we’re staying at the Lantern Lodge just outside of town.

The restaurant is suppose to have very good food; I'm not sure about the lodging part. However, if you like Jim Thorpe and will visit again, I rent my house (http://www.geocities.com/jimthorpepa/). I will be up October 14 weekend if you want to see the house.

Things to Do:
Rent a canoe at Mauch Chunk Lake (and feed the ducks): http://www.carboncounty.com/park/

Take a Ghost Tour: http://www.visitpa.com/visitpa/visitDetails.pa?name=Rotary+Ghost+Walk

Go to the Park (swings and such) - east side of town at 9th & Center Streets.

Peek Inside a Cave - at the Lehigh Gorge, abandoned site where and old hotel burned down. The only photo I could find: http://www.zousan.com/blog/archives/008572.html

Take in the View - from Flagstaff Park - http://www.flagstaffpa.com/

Shop Cheap at the Five and Dime Store on Broadway - Mauch Chunk 5 & 10 at 9 Broadway, Jim Thorpe, PA 18229, 570-325-2341

Chamber Website: http://www.jimthorpe.org/things.html

Missuz J said...

I HATE it when people aren't nice to Sophie when she's trying to be nice to them. This always happens at the park when she sees some kids and says, "Hi! What's your name?" and then they totally ignore her, or tell her she can't play. I could really just spank the living shit out of them. That man is a total prick.