Friday, September 16, 2005

Welcome to Babywood.

When my sister would visit in the past Mark and I would take her out on the town. We’d make an effort to take her to do things and see things that she couldn’t or didn’t do or see in Florida. We'd run around experiencing foreign films, ethnic restaurants, and fringe art performances. This time it’s a bit different. Unfortunately money is a concern – and there just isn’t enough dough in the budget to be going out to dinner for every meal. And Noah is a concern too – he’s not too keen on foreign films or sitting though art performances. (He’s SO anti-intellectual.) So for this visit we’re stacking blocks, bouncing balls and swinging at the playground. Yesterday we went downtown shopping for a few hours, but we shopped for baby clothes. I feel really bad about not doing more to entertain Elisha, but in my defense when I ask her what she wants to do she says she’s just here to spend time with us. And while that is really sweet and I appreciate the sentiment I also don’t want her to humor me while she’s sitting there bored out of her mind.

I haven’t a clue about what we’re going to do today. The weather is kind of blah so just taking a nice walk through town doesn’t even really seem an option. But maybe if it clears up a bit Noah will be amenable to going downtown for Indian buffet. If I send this girl back to Fort Drum without eating a few samosas I will never forgive myself. And our happening Friday night might be a swinging fest of frozen margaritas, Boggle and Yahtzee. Anyone care to join us?

8 comments:

Katy said...

Ooh Ooh!! I wanna come to margarita night and Yahtzee!! Oh right, I live like a million miles away...bummer. As for your sister and her possibly being bored, I think she's right, she did come to see you not necessarily to be entertained by you. And remember, she's a grown up, if she wants to go play she can. Don't stress about it.

Jen O. said...

First, a swinging fest of frozen margaritas, Boggle and Yahtzee sounds wonderful. (I would totally take you up on an offer to join, but my family is in town.)

Second, you said initially that you guys like to make an effort to take Elisha to do things and see things that she couldn’t or didn’t do or see in Florida. Elisha can see you and Noah and Mark in Florida, and she can't spend time with you in Florida, so you're achieving your goal! Try to worry less about her being entertained, and take heart in the fact that your togetherness alone is entertaining. Worry about not having a good time will only eat up the time you could be sharing.

hazel said...

I am positive that elisha is fine with not going out and doing things. you worry too much about how other people feel. trust her! she says she's not bored, just go with that.

if sean hasn't made plans to go see his friend in lancaster, maybe we can come down?

holy shit, my word is answocsw. which is bad enough, but it's so wavy and distorted that it seems nearly impossible. way to go, blogger.

Anonymous said...

I can't think of a better way to 'catch up' than over a margarita (or two) and Yahtzee!! How can you talk at a film festival?

How dare you call my grandbaby Anti-Intellectual - he's stacking blocks, isn't he??

lonna said...

I would love margaritas, boggle, and yahtzee. Too bad we're so far away. I feel like we are not entertaining to our guests either. The only guests that we've had have been our parents, but still. We're happy just hanging out and spending time with Dermot, but I sometimes feel like our parents want more than that.

I'm sure that sister is happy just to spend time with your family. I would hope that she would let you know or do some exploring on her own if she wasn't happy. I've gone to Chicago and New York to visit people, and sometimes the best times there are spent just hanging out with my friends, not necessarily sucking up the culture that I so dearly miss.

amandak said...

You can always leave the little darling with his daddy and pop out for a one on one lunch with the sis if you feel the need for some quality grownup time. I have found, though, that quality sister time is still quality even when all your doing is herding small ones. That's what family is for, right?

Jen said...

Margaritas, Boggle and Yahtzee sounds pretty exciting to me. We don't go out much even though we don't have kids. I think we both just like staying at home and enjoying each others company. It was beer and Parcheesi for us last weekend.

Missuz J said...

I love to play games. It seems like I rarely get to anymore, because Sophie wants to play too, and ends up either bawling or messing up the board.

My brother was just here for a visit. It's tricky with family--do you entertain them or just let them in to your routine and hope they are ok with it.