Thursday, October 06, 2005

Why do you blog?

Yesterday Jen sparked an email discussion about blogging etiquette (for lack of a better word) and it got me thinking about how blogging can have very different intentions. And WHY do I blog.

In short order it’s no secret I blog about and for Noah. The primary function of this blog is to communicate to interested friends and family members about Noah’s growth and development and the goings on in the House of Eggerts. It’s a way I can keep in touch with a bunch of people at one time – whether they be in a different state (Aunt Heide), different country (Great Uncle Wolfgang) or closer but just like to see and hear about Noah daily (my Mom and Dad). The funny thing about this is that these folks don’t really comment on the blog for the most part – but they read it and talk to me about it in person and via email. The secondary function of this blog is to preserve the memories both for myself and for Noah. I have an awful personal memory and I want to make sure I can tell Noah what he was like at 11 months old. A third function that developed is that the blog has become a means to obtain advice and support from other women and mothers about dilemmas and concerns. Some of these women became friends in the “real world” (Patrice) and some I have met through blogging (The Smith sisters) – and reading their comments on a daily basis is a huge help in battling the loneliness one can feel when they are home alone with an infant.

Several months ago Patrice sent out a questionnaire via email to a handful of friends. The idea of it was that you were supposed to answer the questions FOR your friends based on how you thought they would answer them. I was quite surprised when Patrice put that when I grew up I wanted to be a famous blogger. I’m not a fan of the spotlight and don’t really want to be a famous anything – but the real reason I was surprised was because I don’t write this blog as an outlet for my creative writing or a means to entertain the masses. In fact I wouldn’t expect anyone who didn’t know us to find it the least bit interesting. Why would Jo Schmo be interested in what in essence is Noah’s baby book? Of course he’s more than welcome if he is.

WHY do you blog?

So – on to Noah. Naturally. He isn’t the least bit interested in most of his toys. He’d rather play with the potatoes in the potato drawer (where else do you keep them?), the telephone or the cap to an empty water bottle. It’s kind of frustrating in that there are a billion toys scattered all over this place. And now that Noah has top and bottom teeth he has begun grinding them. My GOD – it’s an awful sound. I hope it’s a very short-lived phase that disappears when the novelty of his new teeth wears off.

And now I must begin preparing for our busy day. I have to start a crockpot meal while keeping Noah up so he’ll be awake for our 3pm appointment downtown. More on that tomorrow.

8 comments:

hazel said...

for someone with an awful personal memory, you sure remember some old stuff. I didn't even remember that blogger thing.

I am not sure I know what the sound of teeth grinding is. I have ground my own teeth, but I know that sounds different in your head than it does to others. like when you eat popcorn, it's thunderous in your head but it sounds different when you hear someone else eating popcorn. perhaps when I see you next noah could kindly grind his teeth? just so I know.

I absolutely use my blog as a creative outlet. I don't have many creative outlets to begin with, and I guess I don't think that telling funny stories about my life should be anything but creative. if I did keep a baby book for bella, I would strive to be just as witty as I try to be on my blog. writing every day in a creative way keeps me doing something I love, and it also makes me a better communicator at my job and in my social life. just like reading makes you a better writer, for me, blogging makes me a better conversationalist. so I strive to tell funny stories and tell even more mundane stories in a creative way so that I simultaneously entertain my brain while hopefully entertaining anyone who stops by.

lonna said...

We didn't go through the teeth grinding here. It sounds awful. Dermot got his first 6 teeth within 2 weeks right after his 6 month birthday. Dermot wants into everything too. Who wants real toys when there are measuring cups to be had?

Missuz J said...

Cute bath pictures. I've been doing a lot of "metablognition" lately--wondering why the blog? It actually causes a shit load of problems at home with my husband--but so far, I'm not willing to give it up.

amandak said...

Zach used to grind his 4 front teeth too. It really worried me at the time, but didn't last too long. I think it's just the novelty of having little hard things in there that they can bang together.

First and foremost, I blog to keep in touch with my sisters. However, the more I do it, the more it becomes an outlet, creative and emotional. I like that aspect of it, even though it wasn't what I was originally looking for when I began.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on your blog and now read it because I'm also a mother and find it interesting to hear other mothers stories.

Katy said...

I started blogging because of Becky. It is the little sisters right to be a big fat copy cat. Since then I've found it to be a great outlet for creative tensions as well as just bitching. Plus I feel like I've made really good friends here and I'd hate to lose touch. You guys know more about what's going on in my life than people I see everyday.

Jen O. said...

Everything we do is a creative outlet.

I think the fear is that, if we call blogging a creative outlet, we'll be judged on our creativity rather than simply our ramblings. I don't believe for a moment that you think blogging isn't a creative outlet, since your creativity shows through in your wriring. And that's a good thing, of course!

I don't know why I have a blog. Maybe that's why I haven't much lately?

Noah butt is about the most adorable thing on earth.

Jen said...

I blog because I don't know anyone even close to my age here locally, and I have found some interesting people that i now consider "friends." Also it is nice to be able to speak my mind on different issues and get feedback from outsiders on them.

My new puppy grinds her little bitty teeth too. It is a horrible sound.

Cute butt, Noah.