Monday, October 31, 2005

About as short as Mark

This week is going to be light on the blogging, I think. I have a lot of work to do around the house in prep for Noah’s bday party on Saturday. I’m thinking maybe one day I’ll post the letter I wrote to Noah before he was born and the letter I wrote afterwards which details my labor. They may be interesting from a nostalgia perspective. To someone. Maybe? Oh and I promised to write a little something about the importance of family for the neighborhood newspaper, so maybe I’ll post that too. It's sort of like a sitcom clip show kind of week.

So let’s sum up some stuff that’s been going down. We spent a happening Friday evening organizing the basement a bit. Saturday morning Julie dyed my hair back to it’s natural color, a sort of dark blonde or light brown depending on your view, so no more of the neopolitan look of three shades of hair for me. The color isn’t stunning but it’s mine and there is something to be said for that. Then I went to Old Navy to buy a pair of jeans that fit since all my pants are either too big, too small or too low rise. After trying on 15 pairs of jeans I ended up buying two. I could not decide between the tighter pair that makes my legs and ass look skinnier but did not camouflage my love handles and therefore requires a baggy shirt and a baggier pair that causes less love-handleage but doesn’t look as flattering everywhere else.

While I was out gallivanting Mark and Master Noah cavorted about the house mom-less. It’d been awhile since I’d been apart from Noah for a few hours while he was awake – but this time was a lot easier than it had been in the past. Mark and Noah are obviously more comfortable with each other and as Noah is nearly a boy now and not a mewling infant I feel better about being apart from him for awhile. Shortly after I got home Mark’s best friend Ed came to help set up our old computer in the basement so that Mark can do some digital recording with it. And to reward Ed for his efforts the two of them went out on the town in the evening. They hit Deuce, The 700 Club and The Tap while I put the boy to bed and watched a documentary about Hollywood Cemetary on HBO OnDemand.

Sunday we trucked it to Ldale to partake in the glorious celebration of Bellaween. Beer, food, friends, babys in costumes – what more needs to be said. Afterwards we went to my mom’s for two hours to brighten her spirits by allowing her to chase after Noah as he ran in circles and pulled everything out of her cabinets. My step-father Larry is starting hospice care on Tuesday, and I’m very glad Mom will be getting some help.

This morning SEPTA went on strike, the Market Frankford El isn’t running and I drove Mark to the Temple University train stop so he could catch a train to 30th Street Station and get to work. In the afternoon we went to the grocery store – but not our regular store… Oh WAIT. This was supposed to be a short post! God, I suck at short posts. Sorry. This morning Noah discovered spinning himself in circles until he gets dizzy and this afternoon I spotted the emergence of his fifth tooth. Oh and have I mentioned that my son likes to hide himself in the closet? Anyone surprised? Over and out.

4 comments:

Marksthespot said...

Thanks for not telling everyone how I got drunk on Saturday, tripped over the baby gate in the hall and irreparably damaged your laundry hamper. Oh wait, I just told them. Damn.

amandak said...

Definitely post your pre and post baby pushing letters. And your article for the paper. I'm interested in anything you have to say, er, write.

Your boy is darling, as always.

lonna said...

I would love to read your writings as well. Congratulations on getting some mommy alone time. I bet Noah and Mark had a great time together.

I'm glad that Larry is going to start hospice. Ethan's grandparents started with them about a month ago, and they can be so helpful. It's really giving Ethan's mom a much needed break. I bet your mom and Larry were just thrilled at the break from their lives that Noah must have given them.

hazel said...

haaaaa, mark. baby gates and drunk men. I love it.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the jeans thing. these stupid fucking lovehandles.