Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Caution: very mushy post ahead

I didn’t date much. I could never get my head around casually seeing people. I don’t much like the “getting to know you” phase and I hated the pressure of feeling like I was being judged on every word, every eye lash. From the moment I started being interested in boys I was looking for “the one.” And I had a very clear idea about what I wanted – I wanted to date my best friend. He had to be smart, funny, and interested in the same things I was – music, books, movies, theater, and dining. And he had to want to share the things that I wanted out of life– travel, conversation, commitment, a family. Because I didn’t consider myself the kind of girl you would see across a crowded room and pursue and I wasn’t fully comfortable around a guy until I felt I knew him, I figured the best way to find him was to befriend him and then fall madly in love. I have to admit I had a few missteps on that one. I pursued a couple of guys that were great friends but horrible boyfriends and I had a lot of difficulties overcoming the seemingly impossible obstacle of converting a successful friendship into a successful romantic relationship. Even the first year with Mark was a mess – a storm of mixed emotions, crossed wires and hurt feelings. But luckily the ends justified the means. In February it will be ten years since I first met Mark and today is our third wedding anniversary. He is everything I ever wanted in a man and more. He is my best friend, my husband, and the father of my child. He’s the only person I could spend a zillion hours with and still enjoy his company and the only person I can imagine chit chatting with every day for the next 50 plus years. Even the best marriages are hard work – dealing with the daily pressures of life is difficult as one, and sometimes it can be harder when you have two sets of expectations. But on the most difficult days I know that my life is immeasurably better because I can share it with Mark. And I can say without a doubt that there is no one better suited to be my partner.

Mark, thank you for marrying me.

Details on Jim Thorpe later.

6 comments:

lonna said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY you two. I love mushy posts. For some reason I'm not very romantic, but I love mush! You two have created such a happy life with each other for Noah (and whoever comes later) to enjoy.

Kathryn said...

No way! Happy anniversary! It must be a good day to get married :)

hazel said...

awwwww. so sweet!

I have really enjoyed getting to know mark and becoming such good friends with him. I love that he treats you well and makes you happy. you two were really made for each other. when I think about the rocky start, I often feel like it was a different set of people.

amandak said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
amandak said...

OK, try again.

One of the nicest things about reading your posts and seeing your pictures is witnessing the love and commitment you and Mark obviously have for each other and for your sweet little boy. It's inspiring and heart warming. Thank you for sharing your life and your love.

Kodi said...

I love the pic's. It all seems idyllic. But, how could you not like the outdoors? I would live in the outdoors. Okay, maybe not live, but spend copious amounts of time in the out of doors. Never was a city girl, but I was always somewhat jealous of those city dwellers who seem dressed perfectly no matter what they are truly wearing. I wish sometimes to be sophisticated.