Friday, October 21, 2005

Best laid plans.

I’m doing Noah’s laundry. I went downstairs to put the load from the washer to the dryer only to discover that all of his clothes are covered in weird clear soft plastic-y pellets. I can’t for the life of me figure out what the hell they are until I see it. Somehow I put a disposable diaper in the damn washing machine. It must have been wrapped up in some dirty clothes that I took out of the diaper bag. It is now the size of a pumpkin and hemorrhaging plastic pellets. They’re on everything. Not having a clue what to do I just started the washer again. I'm hoping some of them will wash away in the second wash. What a mess.

It’s been a busy couple of days – which is what I will blame my brainlessness on. Tuesday night we celebrated our anniversary yet again and went out for Indian buffet, picked up a bottle of wine and bought Mark some much needed new dress shoes for work – the third anniversary gift is leather. Mark got me a lovely pair of gloves and some slippers to keep my housebound feet warm. On Wednesday afternoon Noah and I did our grocery shopping extravaganza and in the evening the Milliceccobachs stopped by for baby wrangling, pizza and LOST.

Yesterday the boy and I went to visit my Mom. She was originally intending to come see us this Sunday but my stepfather is not doing well and it’s best that she not leave him at home. She started three months of unpaid Family Medical Leave last week so that she can be home with him. He’s been deteriorating drastically both physically and mentally and we don’t hold out much hope for him to hang on for very long. His bone marrow cancer is taking quite a toll and unfortunately it’s a battle he can’t win. I don’t think he’s ready to go, and I know my Mom isn’t ready to let him go, but unfortunately he’s reaching the stage of his disease where the longer he lasts the more debilitating and painful his life will become. I can’t really be of much help except to bring the boy around to raise their spirits, and that is actually quite helpful.

This weekend we will start the two weeks of cleaning and organizing I hope to do prior to Noah’s birthday party. My to-do list does not just include necessary things like ordering food, dusting and vacuuming, it also includes plans to straighten the basement, reorganize the cabinets and hang things on the walls that I’ve been wanting to hang for a YEAR. The obvious result of this will be that I get so stressed out by the sheer size of my list and spend so much time doing unnecessary things that I will cause myself a nervous breakdown in the two days prior to the party because the house is still a sty. And you would think that in recognizing the outcome of making said list that I would change my plans? Nope. I’m a stupid, untidy and lazy woman who MIGHT get around to doing the very basics of house cleaning before the uncaring and unfazed guests arrive wanting nothing more than beer and cake. It’s good to have a plan!

7 comments:

Missuz J said...

Ohh. I WANT TO COME TO THAT PARTY!
Loved both of your last two posts. Irishman huh? (Insert purring growling sound) I think I'd put up with a lot for an Irish accent. Yum

hazel said...

well trust me. she did put up a lot for that accent from Tiny MacAss O'Dick.

oh man, when those diapers get wet....I mean I understand why, because they're so absorbent, but geez. I hate to think about all those diapers in the disembodied "landfill" that everyone talks about. you have to let me know if the clothes come out okay, because I can totally see me doing that at some point.

Katy said...

We'll be there in spirit! Don't fret over the house I'm sure everything will turn out wonderful.

Kathryn said...

I'm sorry to hear about your step dad. That's never easy. Screw cleaning!!!!

Anna said...

Gee, you don't have much going on, do you? ; )

Good luck and try to have fun with all the cleaning and organizing. I'm sure Noah's 1st birthday party will be a blast!

I asked my aunt for more ideas, and she recommended play groups with other kids of similar ages, going to the park (well, it's getting a bit chilly now), and to look on the Montessori websites for ideas. Oh, she aslo recommended empty paper towel cardboard rolls and tupperware - apparently, kids love playing with the lids and stacking them. I hhope that helps a bit. Enjoy your weekend! (And I'm glad you had a nice time in Jim Thorpe!)

lonna said...

I am scared of your waterlogged diaper! I can't even imagine what it must look like.

I am so sorry about your stepfather. Your poor mother. We just went through this about a year ago with my grandmother and lung cancer. Luckily she went fairly quickly once things got bad. But it's always hard to watch.

Good luck with the party preparations. It would be so great if we were all able to be there for Bella and Noah's parties.

Jen O. said...

As a guest of Noah-fest, I can tell you from my POV that we're only there to see Noah, and you and Mark. And the other guests. Cleaning stress is just kind of futile, though I know that means nothing to you because you just enjoy worrying. And if that's the case, do you have an actual list? There are enough days between now and then that you could potentially cross off one to-do at a time...