Wednesday, October 26, 2005

"EECE?" "Drafty window." "EECE?" "Alarming water damage."

The boy is just walking around in circles. Practicing his balance. Squatting down to get things from standing. Turning around in mid-walk. It’s super cute. And he’s pointing at EVERYTHING and saying “EECE?” A couple of people have assumed he’s saying “This?” but I think it’s just a coincidence that it sounds similar. He’s pointing and inquiring about all he sees. Our house sounds like: “EECE?” “Daddy’s pajamas.” “EECE?” “Potato.” “EECE?” “Car.” He’s also started finally making use of the signs for eat and more. Of course he’s also close to saying them so I don’t know that the effort to teach him some signs has been a success for us.

Yesterday was busy. We went to Walmart, Marburn Curtain Warehouse, Target and Home Depot over the course of the day. We were searching high and low for insulated curtains. Let me explain. Mary was good enough to send a link to a Boscov’s sale on insulated curtains, but then I found them cheaper at JCPenney.com. On Monday I meticulously placed an order for 12 curtain panels in varying lengths and shades. It wasn’t until I was finalizing the order that I was notified that 10 of the 12 were on backorder and were not expected until mid-to-late November. I was frustrated but I went on with the order because they were so reasonably priced and because I was expecting a 10 percent discount. As a result of our kitchen table debacle I have an unused JCPenney credit card and a coupon that gave me 10% off my first purchase, but when I placed my order the coupon was not applied. I called JCPenney online and was told that the discount was not applicable on backorder items. This made me livid. I tried to stay calm while I told the girl that I didn’t WANT them to be on backorder, in fact I nearly cancelled the order since they were on backorder so it didn’t make any sense to penalize ME for the fact that they didn’t have them in stock. She said it was policy. I thought their policy was SO dumb I cancelled the order. Which is why we were searching the area for insulated curtains – unsuccessfully. We went to a Curtain WAREHOUSE for God’s sake. They had nine billion kinds of curtains. And they had ONE kind of insulated drapes - in lavender. And it was a WAREHOUSE! So now I either have to place that order again or we have to haul our butts out to the Cherry Hill JCPenney to see what they have at the store. And in the meantime – I’m COLD!

Of course though no curtains were found we were still able to get rid of some of our cash – because there is obviously far too much of it laying around. Oh- and did I mention we have a leak in the middle of our bedroom wall? Inexplicably water is pooling in bubbles along the wall behind our bed. We’ll just add it to the list of things we need to have a contractor repair. Why do I have the feeling that our house is starting to fall to bits? And just in time for guests. Well, at least the three of us are in good health.

8 comments:

Katy said...

Well, if you hung all lavendar curtains it would take the guess work out of decorating.

hazel said...

ha! katy's funny.

I was laughing rather loudly at the "and it's a WAREHOUSE!" lines, too. if you ask my opinion, which you didn't, I would just wait for the ones you want on backorder. even though it's dumb. because the likelihood of your finding others that you like is probably nil. and I'd call the cherry hill penney's before you trek out there.

that would make me so angry about the lady not giving you the coupon off backordered items. that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

I can't wait to see him on sunday toddling around and "eece?"-ing!!

Jen O. said...

Too bad Planet Feedback is still offline. I would suggest you complain to them about Penney's. It'll be back online any day now, and I suggest complaining when it's back up. They get the job done.

Kathryn said...

Ah, the joys of homeownership. There are so many things we just don't have the time/money/inclination to fix around this place its crazy.

It's so hard to find good customer service and customer friendly policies, how frustrating!

lonna said...

We went through hell with our window treatments. We have a huge window in our living room, and I wanted really nice drapes for that. So we went to the snotty place in town. Of course, since we live in Ames, there are only three choices for window treatments. Penneys, the fancy place, and a country looking place that scared me. So we got these awesome drapes for the living room, but we paid too much for them. We also got blinds for the three bedrooms through them because we wanted cordless accordian blinds. I love them too. So I guess the money was worth it to us.

To do the rest of the house (sliding door in the kitchen, little window above the kitchen sink, and the tall, skinny window next to the front door), we went to Penneys. Nothing went right with them. The lady gave us wrong information and had to call us back to fix it. Then the installer put in the blinds and one of them wasn't sent and another one was bent. So it took 4 trips to finally get all three blinds put up because the second trip consisted of putting up the missing blind. The third trip consisted of replacing the bent blind with another bent blind. Finally they got us a good blind on the fourth trip. We both called and bitched about this and no one seemed to care. I mean, they should really have given us some kind of discount after all of that.

Dermot went through a really long "this/eece" phase too. It's like all of a sudden he realized that everything that exists has a name and he wanted to hear it. It's really fun, but it can get tiring.

Jen said...

I would waste the time to go to the other JCPenney's because in my experience, the stores don't stock much drapery. Maybe call them like Patrice said.

They do have really stupid policies, though. I once ordered an area rug from them, and they sent the wrong color (blue instead of green), and when they sent out the replacement rug, they charged my debit card for it as well as the first rug, without being authorized to do so. Policy, they said and they would credit the card when they got the other rug back. Basically they penalized me because THEY screwed up. I still shop there some, though. They do have good prices.

Stine said...

So much responsibility with a house. I guess that's why sometimes, I still feel like a college kid. I hate renting, but one day, one day.

Good luck on curtain hunting.

Missuz J said...

Just the phrase "window treatment" strikes fear into my very soul. I suck at at things like that.

Owning a home is a complete pain in the ass. Sometimes I think we'd be better off buying a condo or something, and pawning off some of the work to someone else.

Oh--I love the new picture.