Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Quizo, KSNAC and teeth

Last night was fun. I got to Fergies at 8:30 and met up with Patty and Kristen who had been at the bar since 6 and were already a bit tipsy. Kristen in particular. Patty is still peacefully cohabitating with Larry the Physicist and Kristen is still on the hunt for a new man. Luckily for her she didn’t come home from her summer trip to Japan with a Japanese husband for a souvenir, like she did when she came back from her Mexican vacation with Pablo the bartender. She lamented that she spent all summer going to other people’s wedding and bachelorette parties and wasn’t meeting anyone new. Coworkers of Patty’s showed up and though Patty wanted the one guy to sit next to Kristen so they could chat I thought he was an ass. He actually said “I live to harass people.” Um, can I ask when that sort of mentality was cool? GOD – how I don’t miss being single. We crushed at Quizo with a whopping 47 out of a possible 50 points – in large part because Patty is a Quizo fiend. I parted ways with the group when they headed to The Lyon’s Den for more drinks – I was ready to get back to my boys.

In my harried post-grocery shopping state yesterday I forgot to talk about the meeting of the Kensington South Neighborhood Advisory Committee we went to on Monday night. Everyone doted on Noah before the meeting. He was smiling at everyone, crawling all over the place and cruising from chair to chair. About a half hour into the meeting I decided to whisk a chattering Noah away because I was worried the neighbors could barely hear each other scream. It was a nasty meeting – about nothing other than neighborhood politics. It made a Northern Liberties meeting look like a love-in. (We live on the crossroads of three Philadelphia neighborhoods and have attended meetings having to do with each.) Mark stayed for the duration and came home absolutely flummoxed. What a mess. While I think it’s really important for us to become informed and active in our neighborhood and its development I don’t know what difference we can make if all neighbors do is argue with each other without ever trying to compromise or understand other points of view. It’s like a battle to the death between the people who want nothing to change and those who want to change everything willy-nilly. Frustrating. And the board should really work to reel people in – but they are completely incompetent. Glad I had a reason to leave.

You can see both of Noah's top front teeth now. He's definitely got my gap. Lonna asked what I've been doing for Noah’s teething. I’m giving him the occasional dose of infant Ibuprofen when he needs it to help him sleep – but mostly I’m just letting him chew, chew, chew. He particularly enjoys chewing chilled apple slices to bits. He doesn’t swallow the pieces but spits them out as he rips them off. Well, not so much spitting as lets them drool out of his mouth. This is now happening with other foods too.

Nothing else comes to mind. Later gator.

4 comments:

lonna said...

Dermot's got a gap too. I was surprised by that. My front teeth actually overlapped before I got braces. I had one buck tooth. It was awful.

We've avoided being active in our neighborhood, and we really need to stop that. There are several families with little ones, and it would be nice to interact with them. They threw a block party here, but of course, it was when we were in PA. So we missed our one chance to really meet people. I've been trying to take Dermot on more stroller and wagon walks with the hopes of seeing others and striking up a conversation, but we mainly go when others are eating, I think. Oh well.

Jen O. said...

Hopefully you and your friends, or Mark and his friends, or Noah and his friends (when they're older) can come to my Quizo sometime soon. It starts up again next week.

Is teething as awful (for babies, per their levels of agitation) as people make it sound? Does Noah seem supremely uncomfortable?

Unknown said...

Joseph has the gap, too! I had one until I got my teeth bonded. Joseph loved a cold washcloth. I would wet a washcloth and put it in the freezer. And....voila!

We don't really know anyone in our neighborhood. Both houses on either side have single guys. I am sure you could imagine how loud they can get on the weekends. We tend to keep to ourselves. We have some neighbors across the street we say, "hello", but...that's about it.

hazel said...

they're in! hooooray! I thought I felt one of bella's but it was a false alarm. I wish they would pop through already. she's been teething on the coffee table.

I think it's great that you go to all those meetings. it's important to know what's going on around you. I have no idea but I always knew I should.

playing quizo with patty at fergies is like visiting someone during sunday services at their church. glad you had fun.