Monday, October 03, 2005

Stayin' Alive

I’ve had a teething sleep-deprived baby situation again today. Noah finally went down for his first nap of the day – at 1:20pm. Nuts. And he’s sleeping very restlessly too, poor thing, so I don’t know how long my respite will last.

On Saturday I nearly had a heart attack when Noah slammed his head on the lever that adjusts the height of the office chair. When I finally calmed down about the possibility of him having a concussion, I was able to fixate on the swelling bump in the corner of his left eye. It seemed certain he was going to have a massive shiner, but amazingly the swelling went down quickly and left just a small pink mark. Thank goodness. Then we went to my mom’s place for a lovely dinner and got a chance to see my Great Aunt Aunnie who was visiting from Northeast Pennsylvania. I have only met her a handful of times in my life but she seems like a very nice woman who puts a great deal of priority on her children and grandchildren – which I totally respect. The funny part of the evening though was when Annie was giving me an update on my 95 year old Great Grandmom who lives in assisted living in Florida. I never see Great Grandmom or keep in touch because I’ve never thought her to be all that nice of a woman. The last time I saw her was several years ago when my mom held a picnic at our house because Great Grandmom was visiting Pennsylvania. And even though it was attended only by my Grammy, aunts, uncles and cousins – my Great Grandmom carried her purse around everywhere she went so no one could steal it. I wish I could say that was a sign of senility, but unfortunately it was just a sign of mean distrustfulness. Anyway, Annie was telling me that Great Grandmom refuses to watch any television because it’s all “fornagraphic.” She even thinks the commercials are “fornagraphic.” I had a hard time not chuckling because though “fornagraphic” isn’t a word, it totally should be.

And on Sunday we discoed. Baby Disco was super cute and fun. There was music, bubbles, juice boxes, snacks from Whole Foods, silk scarves, shaker eggs, and a chill out room with books, animals and a tent. (Oh and beer. Can’t forget the beer.) Noah and Bella really enjoyed listening to the music, scuttling around, and watching the other kids. I’m sure they will enjoy it even more when they can walk. The event is such a great idea and very well done. They should totally have these everywhere.

Oh and I won! This month the profits from Baby Disco are being donated to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. In addition to the door charge they held a raffle and amazingly I won. We got gift certificates to The Latest Dish, Morning Glory, Whole Foods, Baby Disco, and a local coffee shop as well as a scarf, pillow, T-shirt, Teddy bear and shaker eggs for Master Noah. Upon Patrice’s suggestion we made a deal that if either of us won her and I would make a date for dinner at The Latest Dish – so we got ourselves a hot momma date. I feel bad for the poor men though, especially since it was Mark’s $10 that bought the raffle ticket. Maybe they can come too?

When we got home the men watched the Eagles while Patrice and I watched the monkeys. I was SO beat I wanted to just lay on the floor and let the babies crawl over me. Which is much how I felt this morning when Noah decided it was time to rise at 4:30 am. Maybe he wanted to go out clubbing.

5 comments:

amandak said...

Ooh, gotta hate baby bonks. Zach has been really bad about the bonking lately. He's getting much more physical, and is climbing on everything. His new trick is jumping off the sidetable onto the couch. Which I strongly discourage when I can catch him at it. It got to the point the other day where I just put the icepack on a low shelf in the freezer so he could get it himself.

Mean grannys also suck. My granny isn't exactly mean, but she certainly falls into the uninterested category. She obsesses over her other grandkids, but can hardly keep us straight (as I'm sure you know from Missuz J's recent post). I just never quite know how to treat her.

Glad you guys had fun discoing. It sounds like a fun event, and the pics are great, as always.

lonna said...

Baby disco sounds so cool.

Have you had any luck with finding anything to help Noah's teething? Dermot didn't use the toys to help with teething, and he couldn't stand anything cold in his mouth, but tylenol seemed to help. Other people swear by hyland teething tablets, but we never used them.

We had a minor scare this weekend too. When I was adjusting Dermot's latches on his car seat, my hand slipped and I bonked him in the mouth pretty good. I actually drew blood with my fingernail. The later he slipped on a towel in the bathrooom and bonked his head on the side of the tub. He's got three face bruises right now.

hazel said...

when sean first heard the girl on the microphone, he thought that the raffle was benefitting the center for missing and exploding children.

I guess the men could come...but who will watch the babies? they can get their own dinner somewheres else.

Kathryn said...

Baby disco is such a great idea!

Kent's 90 something yr old maw maw was a very sweet lady. We got her a back massaging thing for her to put in her recliner one year for Christmas. She called us a week or so later going on and on about how wonderful her "vibrator" was. It took us half the call to figure out that she was talking about the present. After that every single time we saw her she'd talk about how much she loved using the vibrator we got her. No one ever had the heart to correct her.

Katy said...

Have the boys order in pizza or something. You guys totally deserve a hot momma date.