Friday, August 12, 2005

High strung out on TV

Why are mothers so freaking high strung about every little thing? For example - when Noah and I were at the pool on Wednesday afternoon I overheard two women conversing about pediatricians. One of the woman was telling the other that her pediatrician had the audacity to recommend that she give her child vitamin D drops. She ranted on about children getting vitamin D from the sun, and how she takes her child outside almost every day so her child had NO need for the drops. She said she doesn’t believe in giving her kids lots of unnecessary medicines and she couldn’t understand why her pediatrician would recommend such a thing. I just promenaded Noah around the pool and eavesdropped while thinking “Jesus. Doesn’t this woman have anything better to worry about?” I mean seriously – it was as if her doctor recommended she start shooting her child up with heroin. In defense of the pediatrician, a lot of inner city children end up with vitamin D deficiencies and to prevent that they probably recommend that all their kids get vitamins because they see it as a harmless preventative measure. Now don’t get me wrong – I’m not advocating vitamin drops (I don’t use them), what struck me is that this woman was so incensed about the suggestion. Why is it that when you’re a mother every little thing becomes like a political debate or a conversation on religion? I understand firsthand that as parents we consider every detail and have to make a decision about it in order to decide what to do for our child. Co-sleeping or crib? Nursing or formula? Sling or stroller? Pacifier? Daycare? Ferberize? And because we’ve made a decision about every little thing we feel we have to stand our ground about our decision being the right one and therefore everything else is wrong. I understand why it happens – but I have to say it is SO stupid. And I tell myself that every time I start to do it. Or I feel like it’s being done to me – though sometimes I’m sure it’s me just being paranoid about being judged for my choices. Case in point – the other night when we were at Patrice’s place Sean offered everyone a drink, a beer perhaps. Lonna quickly thanked him and said that she can’t drink because she’s still breastfeeding. I however had a beer while I was there – and the whole time I was drinking it I kept wanting to explain to Lonna that my doctor had explained to me that it was okay to have a drink or two while breastfeeding- that I had never noticed Noah have any reaction to the small amount that I drank and that I wasn’t a bad and neglectful mother. But that is just dumb – because Lonna made her decision about drinking and I made mine. And I know we both based our choices on facts that we attained from different sources, gave it careful consideration and were comfortable with our choices. So WHY did it bother me? Because even though I try to be all live and let live about things – I’m constantly fighting back the urge to judge others and the worry about how others are judging me. And it’s tiring. So I have to say, Lonna, I hope you didn’t think badly of me for having a beer. And if you did? Oh, well. I’ll get over it. Maybe all I need is to score some grade A vitamin D drops and indulge heavily.

On to far more important matters – television. Summer television sucks for the most part. Every summer I get sucked into watching some crap show that I’m not even really enjoying. And most of the time it is that annoying “Big Brother.” I have to say that I am SO happy that the hot Iraqi Kaysar was voted back into the house instead of that Napoleon-complexed fireman Eric. I was SURE it was written in stone somewhere that firemen had to win every damn thing – especially when up against a Muslim. But was pleasantly surprised that the “America’s Choice” voters had more sense than that.

Also in the realm of reality TV I have to mention that I’m enjoying “Rockstar INXS.” I was a HUGE INXS fan and own seven of their albums.” I was genuinely sad when Michael Hutchence died. I dug him – even if he did die of auto-erotic asphyxiation. But besides just liking a bunch of INXS songs, I am also enjoying the show for a few other reasons. It’s nice to hear the contestants sing rock songs that I like rather than the syrupy pop schlock they sing on American Idol. I like that the show started out with a slate of good singers and we didn’t see any tryouts. There has been no degrading and humiliating the contestants because they were all pretty talented to begin with. I like that the band acts as judges and the harshest thing they can say upon dismissal is “I’m sorry, you’re just not right for our band, INXS.” I’m rooting for Jordis and Corey Glover – I mean Ty. And I have to add that I think Jordis Unga and Mig Ayesa might just be the most fun names to say in the history of mankind.

On the more respectable front I’m also watching “LOST” in reruns because I never watched it during the season. I finally understand what all the hype is about and I look forward to it every Wednesday night. I’ll certainly miss “Six Feet Under” after it’s gone – and not just because I think Peter Krause looks like my husband. I think this season has been the best since the first one and I’ll miss the entertainingly dysfunctional Fishers when they leave us.

I was going to write about how much I love children’s books next, but this post is already too damn long so I’ll leave it for another time. The next week is going to be insanely busy – we have plans every day between now and next Friday. Hopefully I’ll have a chance to blog and fill you in on what the heck is keeping us so occupied. Have a good weekend!

14 comments:

hazel said...

judging and being judged is always 100x worse when you've got young kids. it seems like after they get older, it's not quite as bad, I guess because the amount of people reading up and freaking out is drastically cut down once talking and school starts. but in babyhood? it's awful.

I think it's because we put so much care into the decisions we make. we weigh things so carefully and want to do things "right" so badly that every decision is intensely personal and therefore it seems like when someone does something different, it's saying they think you're doing it wrong. unless you never see other people, it's not a problem that will go away.

anyway, at least with us, it's nothing personal. different strokes for different folks.

I haven't been watching inxs and I think I'm the only person on the planet who isn't. right now, we're about so you think you can dance, and we're catching up on amazing race courtesy of the game show network and our DVR. and, of course, 6FU. I love you, DVR, and I love you, TV! TLA, TLF, Stay Sweet.

mrs. awesome said...

that's why i can't stand hanging around other moms much. they all have sticks up their asses! whatever you're passionate about fine--just keep it to yourself, and i'll do the same.

the other thing i hate is the competitiveness. when did your baby crawl? walk? shit? talk? it's make me want to say something rude and walk away.

Anonymous said...

I really don't remember going thru the judging and competitiveness stuff when you were a baby. Of course, I was only 20 at the time, and have been known to be naive, so maybe I was being judged and didn't know it. I think society in general has changed since the 70's. Today, it seems society seems to pick one 'right' answer - usually the one that is the most politically correct, and expects everyone to conform. But, society is sometimes wrong. When you were born, no one breastfed. If you did, you were thought to be somewhat medieval and/or a 'hippy'. As for the competition aspect, it's tough because it is only natural to talk about your baby and his/her progress. You need to insure a 'compare' discussion doesn't turn into a 'compete' discussion. A tough line to walk.

Heather/SHTEZQ said...

I also LOVE rockstar inxs go Jordis and marty and Mig.

Kathryn said...

That whole judging thing is something I hadn't even thought about. I'm glad to know it's out there so I'm not blind sided the first time it happens!

Also, even though when I look at there faces I think Oh my god I am so freakin old. I'm hooked on the Real World.

Anna said...

Yeah, I'm not a mom yet, but I try to stay on top of that whole judging think. It is exhausting, and eventually I get to a point where I just have to say "oh, fuck it." What bothers me even more is the whole competitive thing, brought up by jo-dee. That's a terrible thing, and it puts a lot of pressure on the child to perform and live up to the parents' expecations. My mother did that to my brother and I (comparing us to one set of cousins) and I'm still dealing with it in therapy. Kids do what they're going to do *when* they're going to do it.

Sorry for the long post, but yes, I think most moms need to chill out - being uptight gnerally isn't fun to be around.

I'm hooked on Battlestar Gallactica (sci-fi geek, what can I say?) Have a great weekend!

Missuz J said...

I often feel judged as a mother--usually on the things that I already feel a little iffy about. It seems to me that women in general--and particularly mothers--need to focus on being much more supportive of one another. That's one reason I love reading y'all. I don't know if it's the blog medium, or that I stumbled upon some seriously cool chicks, but I feel very safe saying, "My daughter is currently painting the table and herself with cheese dip" and don't worry about being judged by you.

Missuz J said...

p.s. Noah's grandma sounds like a seriously cool chick.

amandak said...

I made a conscious effort when I got pregnant with Madeline to NOT run out and read every single baby book out there. Being a perfectionist by nature, I was worried that I would be the one criticizing myself, and judging my children by some supposed expert's opinion. It helped a lot to really allow myself to follow my own instincts.

I didn't have other mom's with kids the same age around much when Madeline was little, so I'm actually feeling it more now that she's in school. I have to kindof put the blinders on, and focus on her, and where she's at, and what she needs from me.

I think the trick is to be confident in yourself, and in turn, when Noah gets older, be confident in his abilities as he grows and develops.

I also think that the comparison/competition thing we hear so much from other parents is really an indication of their own insecurities. At least that's what I tell myself when they start to bug me.

lonna said...

I was thinking about the drinking thing too. I know that the research says that you can drink when nursing as long as you don't drink to the point where you can't drive (and I bet that wouldn't really matter either). It's just that I only drank about 4 times a year before Dermot, and Ethan has never had a drink in his life. It wasn't something that was hard for me to give up. I don't really notice it in my day to day life. As soon as I said that I don't drink because I'm nursing I knew that it could be totally misconstrued. In my head that's why I'm not drinking, but it's not a reason why anyone can't drink. I hope that makes sense.

NME said...

IMHO a compare discussion becomes a compete discussion based solely on the insecurities of the people involved in the discussion. I think our blogging circle is great because we're pretty good about not judging because we are each exposing our insecurities and our worries and we focus on reassuring each other. Plus who doesn't want to watch a kid covered in cheese?

Lonna - it totally makes sense. And I wasn't upset that you said that about why you weren't drinking. I realized you were just referencing yourself - it just made me feel a bit sheepish so I wanted to explore those feelings.

Is there a new Battlestar Gallactica?

Oh and my mom is pretty cool - a big help to us.

beanspot said...

I found this today on Salon, which seems to mirror the discussion of having people judge you.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/col/waldman/2005/08/15/judgment/

beanspot said...

Oh, and there is a new Battlestar Galactica (I'm a geek too) and it's actually very good and dramatic with complex plots much better than the original. It's on SciFi Fridays.

Adriana Rapolla said...

On the judging thing ... I have met several very judgemental and competitive moms since I had my doughter and I tell you, it's just soo annoying.

Why is it some people think they know better? Or insist their kid walked/crawled/etc earlier than any other kid? And what's the point of that? I just resorted to totally ignore people that does that and if it happens a second time I can't help myself sometimes but to be blunt and let them know I'm not interested on their opinions or kid's milestones.

I know I offended some people that way, but hey, they didn't mind offending me in the first place, so I don't care. They'll get over it.