Thursday, August 18, 2005

Balls in the air

And we’re off again. Even though I don’t have to pick up my ex-stepsister Cathy at the Lehigh Valley airport (formerly ABE) until 3:30 pm, I have to leave my house at 10 am. And no, it doesn’t take that long to get there from here. Here’s the deal. I have to leave Noah with my Dad and Oma in Quakertown while I pick up Cathy and her baby Madeline because two car seats, two adults and luggage will not fit comfortably in my small Saturn wagon. And I can’t just drive to Dad’s place right before I have to go to the airport because then Noah will have napped in the car ride and not nap while I go to the airport. And I really want him to go down for a nap right before I go to the airport so Dad and Oma won’t have to deal with any possible separation anxiety. So that means I have to drive out there during his first nap and kill time until I have to go to the airport at 3pm. I think we’ll do a bit of store browsing in Quakertown before we meet my old neighbor Jean in the park during her lunch hour. And then at about 1:30 pm we’ll head to Dad & Oma’s place to hang out for a bit before the child gets tired. So much juggling.

I just caught Noah gleefully rifling through the office garbage can. I could tell by the look in his eyes that he knew he was up to something bad. It was a combination of excitement and foreboding. And he barely whimpered when I snatched a tissue and an old battery out of his hand. Oh the joys of childhood.

Noah has become quite the little musical man as of late. In the morning we’ll often play a kids CD in our CD alarm clock while Mark gets ready for work. Partly because Noah enjoys it and partly so Mark has “Do you know the muffin man?” stuck in head all day long. (Insert evil laugh here.) Noah loves the music – he claps and flaps, often stopping whatever activity he’s doing to mosey over to the CD player and tap on the speaker. The last couple of mornings he’s gone to the CD player and tapped on the speaker to command me to put on his jams. It’s so cute I can barely hold it together. It won’t be long until I’m telling him “Turn that stereo DOWN. You’re bothering the neighbors.”

7 comments:

mrs. awesome said...

do you have any of the they might be giants kids cds? i highly recommend. we play music for g., too, ever since birth (on the theory that music soothes the savage beast).

lonna said...

Dermot loves music too. It's in his genes. We just bought him a percussion set. So he has a little drum, maracas, tambourine, and a harmonica. The drum sticks had to go since he was hitting the tv screen and windows with them, but he's trying to get the hang of the harmonica.

Dermot doesn't like recorded music much, but he loves to be sung to. The louder and faster the better. He actually requests row, row, row your boat now.

hazel said...

that is so cute!!! little baby music critic noah.

a battery, wow! bella LOVES tissues, too. what is it with tissues? the pets love them as well. I just want to yell to all of them that there's SNOT in there, stupids, but maybe that would make it even more alluring.

amandak said...

Kids and music, so fun. The other day I was in the tub, and Zach was hanging with me. The radio was on, and "You can leave your hat on" comes on. He gets this big grin and starts shaking his little butt right along with the beat. Hope we don't have a future male stripper on our hands. Oh dear.

Marksthespot said...

Since Nicole's out for the day, I should respond to Grody Jo-Dee and ask, simply, "Who put the alphabet in alphabetical order?"

Katy said...

My mind is reeling at the alphabet question. In fact the cleverly crafted comment I had constructed (that's called consinence) is gone from me.

NME said...

Love TMBG! Can't wait to get Noah some musical instruments. Or have him learn more dance moves.