Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Days of our lives

God. I am beat. I feel like I need to sleep for 24 hours straight and then I might feel well rested.

So my lunch on Monday went fairly well. Unfortunately I couldn’t tell too much about Susan from her house because her and her husband live in her MIL’s house. But I could tell that her MIL was totally eccentric, opinionated, free-spirited and fun. She gave an artist friend free reign to paint her place and the result is a ceiling of white puffy clouds and crayola colored walls covered in vivid wall art and paraphernalia including a large scary plaster sculpture of a clown. It was a very cool home, though not an indication of Susan’ s personality. Susan is smart, sweet and relaxed but if we were on a first date I might conclude that she was a really nice person but we didn’t have any chemistry. However since I’m merely looking for mommy company and a playmate for Noah she’ll do fine. She’s coming to our place for lunch next week. And hopefully we’ll find one or two other moms to join us at some point.

And the in-law visit worked out well too. When my cousin came to visit on Saturday she brought us a basket of tomatoes and a jar of marinade to soak them in – so I put them out for the in-laws. Now I have to say that I am not a raw tomato person – I like salsa but never get raw tomatoes put on anything and often pick them out. But this marinade made them heavenly. In fact I just chopped some cucumbers up and chucked them in with the leftover marinade in the fridge. I’m sure it would taste good with a variety of veggies and thought you might enjoy it. So I looked up the recipe and here you are:

Marinated Tomatoes
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 to 3 green onions, chopped
4 to 6 large tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges
Soak tomatoes and onions in marinade for at least two hours in refrigerator before serving.

Yesterday Noah and I spent the day with my mom. It was a nice afternoon just playing with the boy – which is my typical day, but I got to share it with someone else who truly enjoyed it. Among other assorted amusements we came home with the car/walker that Noah is enjoying in the photo below. It won't be long before Noah gets his first speeding ticket.

And today? Did I mentioned that I’m tired?

4 comments:

Katy said...

I love a recipe swap! I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes but that does sound yummy, I'll have to try it, for my tomato loving sistahs.

amandak said...

That sounds FABULOUS. I will definitely be trying it soon.

Yeah, my kids have been sleeping through the night (most of the time) for over a year now, and I'm STILL tired. Side-effect of being a mother I think.

Missuz J said...

I'm so glad you posted that recipe! I'm going to try it tomorrow. Now, although it is only 9:30, I am going to bed, because I have been tired for 3 years.

hazel said...

I wonder if it comes in a jar already. because I am THAT tired and lazy.

I want an artist to paint my house. plaster clown, you say? sign me up.