Friday, April 14, 2006

Growing by leaps

In the past two days I've spent seven hours at the park, so you'll forgive me if I don't have too much to report. My body is also busy trying to fight off a cold, which I was hoping to God was allergies. Not so.

Yesterday morning while I was grocery shopping a woman in her sixties stopped me to comment on how cute Noah was. She asked his age and then said her grandson was the same age. She then said, with a wistful look in her eye, "Oh how I wish my kids were still little." Instantly I felt a little choked up. I felt she was a kindred soul. Here I am with a 17 month old already worrying about him growing up, becoming less cuddly, being less affectionate, pulling away and moving off to enjoy a life of his own. Yeah - I'm clingy. But really I'm excited to watch his progression from my cuddly little tyke to a man, but GOD the hugs. What will I ever do without these hugs.

6 comments:

Jen O. said...

Even when they start their own lives, they still give hugs.

lonna said...

My family were not huggy people, but Ethan's family is. They all hug each other all of the time, and now I am included in all of the hugginess. So as long as you keep that an important part of your family "culture" the hugs will keep on happening. For a while there they won't happen in public, but I think that's okay as long as they still happen. I will miss Dermot's smushiness when he smushes his face into mine cheek-to-cheek style.

hazel said...

that's the entire reason that I get upset every time bella passes a milestone. it's the last time I'll have a crawling baby, the last time I'll nurse, the last time I'll be changing a diaper. it's why I don't mind cosleeping, even if I bitch about it from time to time.

we have to enjoy it while we can.

Missuz J said...

Been feeling much the same lately. I'm so torn between wanting a kid who can dress herself, entertain herself, and clean her own room--and shedding tears because she is beginning to do these things.

amandak said...

I hear ya. I tolerate way too much baby talking around here mostly because I know how much I'll miss it when those tiny little voices turn into big cranky voices telling me to leave them alone. Sigh.

Stine said...

Even if they go through phases, Jen O. is right, the hugs will always come back.