Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Jiggedy Jig

We're home again, home again.

Just two days ago I was telling my mom that though Noah loves his pacifier and constantly chews on his fists and any of my body parts that get in his general vicinity, that he doesn't really put random things in his mouth. My mom was saying it was a good thing because once he started I would have to stop giving him catalogs to tear apart, granola wrappers to crinkle and assorted random junk to paw at.

Well, the day has come already. Today as I type Noah is licking a Nature Valley granola wrapper. He is rabidly gumming the thing into submission. And I'm sure that this day came so quickly because of my stupidity in helping him discover the glory of shoving things into his gaping maw. As I was eating an apple yesterday I held it up to his mouth and he licked it. And boy was he impressed. YUM - he seemed to say with his wide eyes. He kept sticking out his little tongue and lapping at it. I just thought this was SO darling I cut off a big piece of my apple just for him. He didn't want to hold it himself but he just licked and gnawed and gummed at it as I held it to his mouth. He didn't get a single shred but I guess the juice was enough to spur him on. And to make matters worse I also let him lick the salt on my pretzels! What a moron I am. Surely I should have realized these acts would precipitate the boy tasting EVERYTHING.

Oh, yesterday's post about visiting Jean was supposed to end with a long sappy philosophical talk about it taking a village to raise a child and how you can't get too much love - but I was distracted and didn't finish it. And I won't bore you with my whole inner dialogue now. I often "write" blogs in my head that never get posted - or get posted in some form but lose their original intention. I wish I could get a print out of my head.

2 comments:

dasereht said...

Between your blog and Patrice’s, I'm convinced babies have no need for toys, pacifiers, or even food. All they need is PAPER.

And onesies. Because "onesie" sounds so damn cute.

hazel said...

it's so crazy how different bella and noah are. I think bella putting everything into her mouth (and she puts everything into her mouth - everything) has helped her to understand that there are alot of really bad-tasting things in the world, so she shouldn't eat ANY food EVER, in case the food tastes bad in the future.