Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Beware: Breast Talk

It should be no secret that I have not loved every minute of breastfeeding. I'm not a big fan of sore nipples, gihugic unwieldy breasts that can't fit in anything, unsupportive bras that fling open, leaking, or even wearing a bra at all hours of the night and day. The first three months were HARD. I was so sore. The only thing that stopped me from quitting is because I promised myself and Noah that I would breast feed him for six months - following the current medical recommendations and the "Babies were born to be breastfed" campaign.

Noah's six month check-up is just around the corner - but now I'm not so certain that it is a good time to stop. Yes, I want my breasts back to somewhat of a "normal" size before trying to wear summer apparel. Yes, I want to work out without worrying about leaking or souring my milk with lactic acid. And yes, I can't wait to wear a supportive bra - and sleep without wearing one. But I have some reasons to keep on keeping on. I'm happy to say that it stopped really hurting just after the three month mark. Breast milk is not only healthier but also FREE. It is also more convenient - rather than getting up in the middle of the night to prepare a bottle I can now practically doze through nursing Noah during his still very prevalent night feedings. Plus I am HOME and I have no good reason NOT to breastfeed. And then there is the bonding aspect - I alone won't be responsible for providing Noah's nourishment in such a primal mammalian level. Oh, and I can't forget to mention that when I stop nursing my period will return - and I haven't had it in over a year.

To ween or not to ween? I'm so torn. I change my mind every five seconds. I guess I'll just wait and see what the pediatrician and the OBGYN say. Or maybe I will flip a coin.

4 comments:

dasereht said...

Sour milk? What does that mean? Will it just taste sour or will it actually go bad?

I just pictured your breasts having little "sell by" stamps on them. Ha!

Ummmm... I didn't acutally picture your breasts... I mean... er, gotta go.

Jen O. said...

The whole "free" thing would probably seal the deal for me.

PS: Theresa is nas-ty.

hazel said...

free is good. what I hate is the fact that I can't go anywhere. even if I pump my milk, which takes care of the baby, when I'm out, the milk comes in whether bella is there or not. so then I need to bring my pump with me. so what's the freakin point of getting away then??

Missuz J said...

Super long comment (Code Red: Breast Talk Galore)

I feel like whoever designed the human baby feeding system got it so wrong. Wouldn't it be nice if the milk just came out of your index finger, and you could just stick your finger in the baby's mouth instead of getting half naked and getting out a boob?

When Sophie was born, she had jauntice BAD. She was absolutely yellow. The way to cure jauntice, apparently, is to go to the bathroom (light therapy too) so before my milk came in, Sophie had to have several bottles. She totally got nipple confusion (the hilarity of that phrase totally kills me every time) and would have nothing to do with my aching, huge, exploding, engorged breasts. My lactation consultant gave me some "training wheels" which consisted of a container I pumped my milk into which I hung around my neck. The container had two long tubes which I then TAPED to my NIPPLES. The idea was, the milk was easier to get out of the tube than the boob, so Sophie would relearn that milk came from mommy, not bottles.

After that very rough start, things got better and we lasted about 8 months. It was nice, but I did feel very tied to her at times.

I'd say if you've made it 6 months and are ready to be done--be done. Any decision is the right one, as long as it's the one you feel ok about.