Sunday, February 25, 2007

Not filled with iron-y goodness

The days fly by, except for the period between lunch and naptime – which drags on for what seems like eons. At my most recent checkup my doc said my iron was low. She didn’t diagnose me as fully anemic but she ordered more tests. It was kind of a relief to hear that there may be a reason I feel like I’ve been put through the ringer. Now I need to start taking some sort of iron supplement. My friend Janette recommended a liquid supplement that she uses claiming it to be a cure all. Of course she also described it as tasting like flowers and metal. Yum. But I’ll probably soon be heading to the store to get me some – as soon as I can summon the energy.

Mark’s been hard at work on his mini-album for that online music challenge. One day each weekend Noah and I have gotten out of his hair for a few hours by going to the Please Touch Museum to see a different jazz performer. They have a Junior Jazz Festival in February and we’ve enjoyed seeing three different performances – Erin Flynn did jazzy kid songs about trains, Louis Miranda did a latin influenced set of singalong songs, and today the drum ensemble Fandango spanned the globe with beats from Brazil, Cuba and Africa. Noah has been really loving the performances and I’m sad to see the series end. I have to figure out what other live music I can take him to see soon.

When we came home today we went to check in on Mark in the basement. A couple of weeks ago when we were at the Franklin Mills Mall Mark pointed out a child sized guitar to Noah and asked him if he might like to have one some day – and since then Noah keeps bringing it up saying he wants one now. Today he told Mark that when he gets his guitar that Mama and Daddy can go to the Please Touch so that he can play in the basement. It certainly seems Noah is catching the music loving bug, and with his shy streak that is a blessing. As Mark says the main reason he decided to learn how to play the bass was because he figured it was the only way in the world he’d ever get girls to talk to him. And well, I met him when he joined a friend’s band so the proof is in the pudding.

I’ve recently become a bit concerned with Noah’s speech. As I’ve noted he is totally verbal, incredibly so and at home he never stops talking and questioning. But he’s also started stuttering a bit. My Mom and Mark reassure me that it’s probably just because his little overdeveloped mind sometimes surpasses his mouth’s ability to get the words out, and that he’s getting stuck on the first sound of a sentence because he’s thinking about everything that comes after before he says it. But it’s still a bit scary. I hope it’s just a common toddler thing and he’ll grow out of it. I can’t imagine how shy he’d become if grew up having to overcome a stutter.

On a more positive note, we’ve had a few good meals as of late. We eat out about once a week, nothing extravagant mind you, but since Noah enjoys dining out and so do we it’s become a regular thing. Sort of a mental health necessity. Just recently my prayers were answered and an Indian restaurant named Tiffin opened in our neighborhood – and better yet they do takeout. Good takeout. Last Saturday we went down to Chinatown and had amazing Burmese food at Rangoon. We hadn’t been since Mark surprised me with a get together of friends there for my 30th birthday. And yesterday we had a lovely lunch at the famous Melrose Diner. Believe it or not our waitress has worked there for 35 years! Can you imagine!

The Oscars are on tonight and for once I can’t be bothered. I’ve always really enjoyed them but this year I’ve seen nothing. Worse yet – I don’t even know what any of the films are. It’s weird to think about since I’ve been a movie geek since I worked at West Coast Video at the age of 16. But our lifestyle just doesn’t allow for movies to be a priority right now and I’m cool with that. I’ll always have a bunch of stuff to catch up with later. Which is something that can’t be said about the cinematic genius that is Amazing Race All Stars – which is currently awaiting me on my DVR so I must go.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

We all went to a music festival in Vancouver this weekend and I've never seen Ellis have so much fun.

And although I watched most of the Oscars this year I share your sentiment.

In fact I even said to Kent "if you had told me 7 years ago when we first started dating that I would be sitting here having seen only three of the nominated movies (one of which was happy feet with Ellis thank you very much) I would never have believed you."

lonna said...

I have been on and off again anemic. In fact I went anemic again when I stopped taking prenatals even when I was still nursing around Dermot's first birthday. So I'm back on them and that seems to be doing the trick. Some people swear by eating tons of raisins, but they gross me out. I took 3 or 4 (depending on severe my anemia) gentle iron by solgar (I think that's the brand). They're vegetarian, so the capsules were not gelatin. That doesn't matter to you, so maybe you can find something that works for you better than that. I liked them because I never had the stomach problems that some people get with iron.

I too missed the Oscars and missed seeing any of the movies that were nominated. Oh well. That's how it goes.

Anna said...

I'm so sorry you've been so sleepy... I know it makes it hard to get anything done!

My husband and I used to go out to the movies at least once a week, and we only saw one of the movies nominated this year (Little Miss Sunshine when we visited my aunt). Now we're lucky if we go a couple of times a year. This is actually okay with me, as we have a comfortable home theater in our living room, and there isn't much that's been out that we've been dying to see. Although 300 looks very tempting, and I think we may venture out to an Imax theater for that one.

I hope you're feeling better with the iron supplement. Loved to hear your review on the taste... : )

Missuz J said...

My iron fix when I was pregnant was cream of wheat. That stuff is BURSTING with iron. Really.

I didn't watch the Oscars OR see any of the movies. (Ok, we watched 1/2 of happy feet, but when Soph started screaming "NO! NO!) at the screen because she was so freaked out by the leopard seal, we had to leave.)

Thinking of you often--Becca