Monday, February 28, 2005

Tiny knees curled to chin

Am I insane? I have a 16 week old and I am constantly thinking about getting pregnant again. Obviously this is insanity. Noah is not even mobile yet and I can barely figure out what to do with him on a daily basis. And yet, he is so wonderful and makes me so happy that surely a second would be terrific. Plus, having been raised by my mother as an only child, I know it can be lonely. And I have learned through my half siblings how great it can be to have brothers and sisters so I definitely want to continue to expand our family. And I keep thinking that the closer that Noah and the next child are in age, the closer they will probably be in life, so we need to get a move on. There is some sense somewhere in my brain though because I recognize it would be extremely challenging to wrangle an infant and a toddler at the same time. In fact it seems impossible. However, motherhood seemed completely unfathomable only 17 short weeks ago and now look at me. Hmm... So where is the right move here? Maybe i should try to get down to a regular size before I start thinking about packing on the pregnancy pounds again.

My mother came over yesterday and watched Noah while Mark and I went to brunch at Las Cazuelas. Lunch was delicious and it is nice to get out for a couple of hours. But the best thing is how excited my mother is to spend time with Noah. As Mark said "It feels good to see how much someone else loves your child." And my mom is head over heels in love with Noah. Her generosity to us and interest in him have been completely overwhelming from the moment we told her we were pregnant. I fear there are no amount of thank yous that could ever express to her how much we appreciate all the little things she buys for him and for us - and all the time she spends driving back and forth to see him. I guess I will just have to assume that he is cute enough to cover the ante. And he is cute. In fact he is SO cute I fear that maybe they switched our child with a supermodels child at the hospital. If he grows up this adorable he will have a truly charmed life.

Noah is a real little boy. He really went to town last night pushing up on his arms, holding his head up and looking around. He seemed like he could take off crawling at any moment. May the gods help us when that happens. Our rowhouse is 50% stairs. And they all have cutaways so we can't put up standard retention gates. I dread childproofing this place.

Well the snowstorm has granted me a slightly early return of my husband, so I bid you adieu.

No comments: