Friday, January 09, 2009

All the colors of the rain... barrel


Ten years ago after having drinks with my cousin I came home to the realization that I had lost my keys during the course of the evening. Rather than seek a sane solution I decided to climb a large fence, jump down in the back yard and scale the fire escape and let myself in the deck door I knew was open on my third floor apartment. Sounds smart, right? So I got up on the fence by climbing on my cousins car and then I realized that I hadn’t contemplated the jump down on the other side. Luckily, AHA! I could see a lidded barrel on the ground. So I jumped on it and the old metal rain barrel lid gave way and I found myself waist deep in old, dirty water. I hauled myself out and FANCY THAT I had a giant piece of glass sticking out of my foot. (Oh right, I was barefoot because who could scale a fence in platform heels.) I hopped up the fire escape let myself in the house, bled all over it, pulled the giant piece of broken beer bottle out of my foot, wrapped it in a towel and scooted down the stairs on my butt so my cousin could take me to the emergency room to get stitches. Ah… youth.

Well it never healed right. I have a scar and lump on the bottom of that foot. It doesn’t bother me unless I wear incredibly tight shoes – like roller blades or ice skates. Or when I sprain my ankle, have a swollen foot and begin walking in a way that puts pressure of my old barrel jumping injury.

I tell you this to both be “Woe as me, my po lil foot” (pretty colors isn't it) but also because that’s such a fun memory.

6 comments:

Wendy Hitch said...

You were a wild girl! I love it!
Your poor foot looks just awful (and quite colorful.) Hope it heals quickly. Miss you and your boys. Let's get together ASAP.

OMH said...

That was so funny......I could just picture it. Poor me is justified so moan away!

Hope it heals quickly.

hazel said...

I love that story. you were such a renegade then. I remember going to see you after you had just dyed your hair black and you were annoyed that your hands looked real tan after trying to get the black off. the days of cutoff shorts and doc marten's.

lonna said...

Wow, you really did some damage to that foot. When I was a kid I got hit in the elbow at some batting cages. It turned all sorts of colors for weeks afterwords. I hope you get back to your old self soon. Crazy story from the past, by the way.

Kathryn said...

That is a great story! Things like that sound like such a great idea when there are drinks involved :)

That is one angry sprain. Are you on crutches?

Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm glad your sprains are now on the whistle-related level. Some day, your cute little boys will call you with a similar barrel story and you will worry about them and their sanity for a month - totally forgetting your barrel....